"File type is not supported on this device"

Any time i try and drag/drop any of my .ogg or .flac music to my Sansa clip 2G, i get this error. Only happens with .ogg or .flac

My computer is pretty old (USB1.0) but I’ve never had any issue like this. What can i do to fix this? I had an older Clip 4GB that broke, but before it broke, I remember being able to upload .flac files on the same machine with no trouble

Sansa Clip 2G, V02.01.32A

Windows XP SP 2

Exact Error is:  “(Songtitle.extension)” file type is not supported on this device. If it is a media file, you may be able to use Windows Media Player to convert the file to a playable type prior to transfer. Do you wish to skip this file now? Skip/Skip All/Cancel

slurry wrote:

Any time i try and drag/drop any of my .ogg or .flac music to my Sansa clip 2G, i get this error. Only happens with .ogg or .flac

 

My computer is pretty old (USB1.0) but I’ve never had any issue like this. What can i do to fix this? I had an older Clip 4GB that broke, but before it broke, I remember being able to upload .flac files on the same machine with no trouble

 

 

 

Sansa Clip 2G, V02.01.32A

Windows XP SP 2

 

Exact Error is:  “(Songtitle.extension)” file type is not supported on this device. If it is a media file, you may be able to use Windows Media Player to convert the file to a playable type prior to transfer. Do you wish to skip this file now? Skip/Skip All/Cancel

 

 

 

 

Try Disconnecting from the Computer, then doing a soft reset, then reconnect and see if anything changes. If not try reloading the Firmware. 

i just tried manually setting the clip to MSC mode, before i saw your reply. I was able to browse the clip as a generic device, and though it showed the ‘MUSIC’ folder being empty (its not), i am able to drag and drop anything into the folder and it will upload it. I guess its a temporary solution.

I will try the soft reset once its done transfering

slurry wrote:

i just tried manually setting the clip to MSC mode, before i saw your reply. I was able to browse the clip as a generic device, and though it showed the ‘MUSIC’ folder being empty (its not), i am able to drag and drop anything into the folder and it will upload it. I guess its a temporary solution.

 

I will try the soft reset once its done transfering

 


Switch the player to MTP Mode, and copy everything out of the Music folder to your computer, then delete it from the player, then switch back to MSC and copy it all back into the Music folder. See if this helps.

after uploading my ogg music in MSC mode, in which the MUSIC folder appears to be empty, the file does show up as normal in the MUSIC folder when i switch back to MTP mode. Quite odd…

I also tried to soft reset you suggested, with no results.

slurry wrote:

after uploading my ogg music in MSC mode, in which the MUSIC folder appears to be empty, the file does show up as normal in the MUSIC folder when i switch back to MTP mode. Quite odd…

 

I also tried to soft reset you suggested, with no results.

You wont see a change per se, it is just the easiest way to get the database of files to refresh. Sometimes thats all you need. 

Well this method kinda works, but its a bit annoying. I’d like to know exactly why this is happening. I do appreciate your help though conversionbox.

slurry wrote:
Well this method kinda works, but its a bit annoying. I’d like to know exactly why this is happening. I do appreciate your help though conversionbox.

I use OGG on my player but I also only use MSC Mode with drag and drop. I dont know much about FLAC or OGG for that matter so I dont know if there are DRM’s compatible with those formats, but that could be a part of it. It really is strange.

 What are the file extensions on the ones that wont copy?

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 12-25-2009 05:15 PM

The empty folder issue: 

When your player is connected to your computer under USB MSC mode (set under the player’s Settings/USB Mode), your computer only sees the files that had been transferred to the player when the player was connected under MSC mode.  Likewise as to MTP mode.  Regardless, all the files show up and are playable on your player, under whatever USB mode setting.

A good reason why some people prefer to set the USB Mode on their player to either MSC or MTP:  on the Auto setting, the player tries to connect under MTP mode but then will fall back to MSC mode if the MTP connection does not work; the result being, you may have a mix of MSC and MTP mode transferred files on your player, making some of them not visible on your computer without switching to the other USB mode. 

Because MSC mode is more universal (playing with a broader range of operating systems, including Linux and on Macs, and without a need for Windows Media Player on the computer), some people prefer MSC mode.  However, note that DRM (digital rights management) files need MTP mode–they will not transfer sufficiently (the DRM license will not transfer) under MSC mode.

Miikerman wrote:

The empty folder issue: 

 

When your player is connected to your computer under USB MSC mode (set under the player’s Settings/USB Mode), your computer only sees the files that had been transferred to the player when the player was connected under MSC mode.  Likewise as to MTP mode.  Regardless, all the files show up and are playable on your player, under whatever USB mode setting.

 

A good reason why some people prefer to set the USB Mode on their player to either MSC or MTP:  on the Auto setting, the player tries to connect under MTP mode but then will fall back to MSC mode if the MTP connection does not work; the result being, you may have a mix of MSC and MTP mode transferred files on your player, making some of them not visible on your computer without switching to the other USB mode. 

 

Because MSC mode is more universal (playing with a broader range of operating systems, including Linux and on Macs, and without a need for Windows Media Player on the computer), some people prefer MSC mode.  However, note that DRM (digital rights management) files need MTP mode–they will not transfer sufficiently (the DRM license will not transfer) under MSC mode.

Right but that doesnt explain why win MTP some of the Ogg files wouldnt copy to the player, but when the OP switched to MSC they would. 

Do you have Windows Media Player on your system, and what version?  Also, what is your operating system?  For MTP mode to work, SanDisk specifies at least Windows XP with service pack 2, and Windows Media Player 10.  MSC mode doesn’t have these requirements. 

Conversionbox wrote:

Right but that doesnt explain why win MTP some of the Ogg files wouldnt copy to the player, but when the OP switched to MSC they would. 

Right–that’s why I prefaced the response as to the computer empty folder issue.  See my separate possible answer as to the ogg transfer issue.

Miikerman wrote:


Conversionbox wrote:

Right but that doesnt explain why win MTP some of the Ogg files wouldnt copy to the player, but when the OP switched to MSC they would. 


Right–that’s why I prefaced the response as to the computer empty folder issue.  See my separate possible answer as to the ogg transfer issue.

I did that makes sense. I didnt think about SP2. 

Also, do you have the latest firmware on your Clip (see the firmware upgrade sticky at the top of this forum)?  Ogg vorbis files were not originally playable on the Clip and were made playable on the Clip with a later firmware revision.    

I just bought the a new 8 gig clip .I am having the same problem.I bought the unit for this function but I cannot drag and drop any flac files on the device.The instuction pamphlet is a  joke and you would think a better manual would at least be on the provided CD .All that is on that is software for the subsciption sevice Rhapsody which I have NO interest in.Can any one help solve this mystery.

Is the player’s USB mode set to MSC?  That often can do the trick.

I have the latest firmware .I just got the device.

I don’t believe that was the question.

But I’ll tell you this; if you just updated the firmware the USB connection setting usually gets changed back to the default MTP or (worse) Auto Defect.

Try switching to MSC mode as Miikerman suggested.

I tried MSC and MTB and auto still same problem I cannot drag flac files on to device

@bill5690 wrote:

I tried MSC and MTB and auto still same problem I cannot drag flac files on to device

That’s queer then. I don’t have any problem.

Are you doing this on your computer, or maybe one at work? Some employers will have their computers set-up so you cannot transfer, copy or otherwise steal any files from the computer to a different (or outside) device or storage medium.