Feature request - limit the available memory

Hi all,

It happens to me very often, I syncrhonize the player with my computer, and while I’m on the road and can’t wait to hear new podcast, the player just won’t turn on, because eventually no space left on player’s internal memory and it needs at least 90mb to rebuild it’s library. So please, please, please, limit the available space to 90mb less so this annoying situation won’t happen to onyone anymore.

Thanks.

Search the forum. You will see that this is due to one or more files on the player being corrupted. there is also likely something about this in the FAQ.

Message Edited by JK98 on 09-01-2009 02:42 AM

Sorry, but I don’t think it’s related to corrupted files. The player says “Not enough space for music DB. Please free 90mb”. The player has no space left, deleting some files, it’ll rebuild it’s library and will work again. Happended to me too many times.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=15278&query.id=49828#M15278

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=announcements&message.id=147&jump=true#M147

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/search?board_id=sansafuse&submitted=true&q=please+free

JK98, I’ve always thought it was a bizarre error message for a corrupted file. Perhaps this is a case where it’s actually the right message.

Another case where  you are caught away from your PC for a while with a tag database you can’t use.  The option to turn off the database and browse by files looks pretty good about then.  And have the ability to delete things in file browse mode in case the problem really is lack of room.

@vladikk wrote:
Sorry, but I don’t think it’s related to corrupted files. The player says “Not enough space for music DB. Please free 90mb”. The player has no space left, deleting some files, it’ll rebuild it’s library and will work again. Happended to me too many times.

I ran my Fuze for months with 5mb free with no issues…

@JK98:
Well, I just got home and connected the player to the pc. It has 672kb of free space. Deleted some files, now the player has 91mb free. After unplugging, it is doing it’s usual “Refreshing your media” procedure, and the player is up and running again.

Thanks for trying to help, but the problem was with the actual free space available, and limiting it while the player is connected to the pc can prevent this unpleasant situation. 

I think the problem is probably due to a file or files being a different size than it is supposed to be. The player is trying to manage its memory, but when it can’t do so adequately if has no way to heal itself.

I’m not trying to turn this into a MTP vs. MSC tog-o-war but . . .

I run my players & memory cards pretty much full to the limit (I believe it getting what I pay for :stuck_out_tongue: ). Just a few mb (or even kb) of free space at times. I use MSC mode exclusively. However, in trying to replicate a problem someone needed help with here some time ago, I switched the player to MTP mode. BANG! I get the dreaded ‘Not enough room, blah, blah message’. I delete a few files; everything’s cool in MTP land.

I switch back to MSC, load’er up again. Works like a champ . . . until I switch to MTP mode again. Same message! The moral of the story? MTP mode requires more available memory than MSC mode to do whatever it is that it does.

I understand the need and want for MTP mode for some people but . . . you have to be willing to sacrifice 1 CD’s worth of music in order to keep the gears running smoothly. While with MSC mode, you can max it out if you want to with no ill effects.

@tapeworm wrote:

I run my players & memory cards pretty much full to the limit (I believe it getting what I pay for :stuck_out_tongue: ). Just a few mb (or even kb) of free space at times. I use MSC mode exclusively. However, in trying to replicate a problem someone needed help with here some time ago, I switched the player to MTP mode. BANG! I get the dreaded ‘Not enough room, blah, blah message’. I delete a few files; everything’s cool in MTP land.

I switch back to MSC, load’er up again. Works like a champ . . . until I switch to MTP mode again. Same message! The moral of the story? MTP mode requires more available memory than MSC mode to do whatever it is that it does.

I understand the need and want for MTP mode for some people but . . . you have to be willing to sacrifice 1 CD’s worth of music in order to keep the gears running smoothly. While with MSC mode, you can max it out if you want to with no ill effects.

This problem would go away if Sandisk would develop their own dedicated software.  I have a MTP only player loaded to the brim with content, and haven’t had a single issue.  The problem is WMP.  One sof tware program can’t be the answer for all players… and it’s quite evident to me that there is some problem with the fuze/WMP relationship.  I use MSC on my Sandisk players to elimate issues.  The problem isn’t with MTP per se, it’s that WMP and the Fuze don’t like to play along together.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

This problem would go away if Sandisk would develop their own dedicated software.  I have a MTP only player loaded to the brim with content, and haven’t had a single issue.  The problem is WMP.  One sof tware program can’t be the answer for all players… and it’s quite evident to me that there is some problem with the fuze/WMP relationship.  I use MSC on my Sandisk players to elimate issues.  The problem isn’t with MTP per se, it’s that WMP and the Fuze don’t like to play along together.

That makes sense to me…and explains why I’ve had so few problems with my various Sansas.