Favorite Meals......

We had a nice thread going a while back, until it was ruined.  I’m going to try it again.  Let’s play nice this time…

Tried a great lo-country recipe from Chris Rock’s (the comedian) Mom; and it was very, very good.

Smothered Chicken and Biscuits (recipe can be found in the link)

Rose Rock’s Smothered Chicken & Biscuits

Had Pork Ribs for dinner tonight. Tomorrow is some kind of chicken recipe that my mom found and wants to try. Ill up date tomorrow.

Conversionbox wrote:
Had Pork Ribs for dinner tonight. Tomorrow is some kind of chicken recipe that my mom found and wants to try. Ill up date tomorrow.

So your mom is going to give you the bird, is she? Does that happen often?

:smileyvery-happy:

Tapeworm wrote:

Conversionbox wrote:

So your mom is going to give you the bird, is she? Does that happen often?

:smileyvery-happy:

More often than you’d think 

My wife just made me a monster salad, nice and crisp, with crisp iceberg lettuce.  Sometimes it just hits the spot; we often mix the darker leaves, romaine, spinach leaves… Plenty of cubes of turkey and cheddar.

Two days ago, I tried an experiment, tossing in some breaded fried chicken and stuffed jalapenos, with a chipotle dressing on top.  That worked out very well, with the accent of warm, spicy bites blended with cool greens.

Later this week, I’m going to try my hand at making my Oma’s specialty: lekker kroketjes!!

Bob  (pass the Maggi!)  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

My wife just made me a monster salad, nice and crisp, with crisp iceberg lettuce.  Sometimes it just hits the spot; we often mix the darker leaves, romaine, spinach leaves… Plenty of cubes of turkey and cheddar.

Two days ago, I tried an experiment, tossing in some breaded fried chicken and stuffed jalapenos, with a chipotle dressing on top.  That worked out very well, with the accent of warm, spicy bites blended with cool greens.

Later this week, I’m going to try my hand at making my Oma’s specialty: lekker kroketjes!!

Bob  (pass the Maggi!)  :smileyvery-happy:

Since I live in the middle of Amish country, we can get those even at the local gas stations!  Some places have 6, 10 or even 20 different variants of them.  Good stuff.

Made one of my favorite heary soups last night.  I am of Hungarian decent and I learned a ton from my Hungarian Grandmother, who could make a hearty meal out of the most basic of ingredients.  One of her specialties was what she called “Tomato Cabbage”.

Basically it is chopped cabbage simmered in enough tomato juice to cover.  Cook it until the cabbage is tender; and add seasonings of your choice.  We also add a Hungarian Roux called “Rontosh”, which is flour cooked until quite dark in bacon fat.  This thickens the mixture slightly to give  you a great hearty dish.

It doesn’t sound too wonderful, but is probably my favorite soup/stew.

fuze_owner-GB wrote:

Made one of my favorite heary soups last night.  I am of Hungarian decent and I learned a ton from my Hungarian Grandmother, who could make a hearty meal out of the most basic of ingredients.  One of her specialties was what she called “Tomato Cabbage”.

Basically it is chopped cabbage simmered in enough tomato juice to cover.  Cook it until the cabbage is tender; and add seasonings of your choice.  We also add a Hungarian Roux called “Rontosh”, which is flour cooked until quite dark in bacon fat.  This thickens the mixture slightly to give  you a great hearty dish.

Bet that would be good with some pork sausage in it too.

And maybe a couple shots of vodka :stuck_out_tongue:

fuze_owner-GB wrote:

And maybe a couple shots of vodka. :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

And maybe a couple shots of vodka. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, the richer folk back in the Homeland do put Vodka in it. The trick is not to add it while the stew is too hot, or the alcohol evaporates.  Kind of a Bloody Mary Soup!  It may not be to your taste, but after a couple of bowls, you don’t care!!!

Too many carnivors here. I’ll stick with my lentils.

JK98 wrote:
Too many carnivors here. I’ll stick with my lentils.

I had a lovely sausage and pepperoni pizza last night.:stuck_out_tongue:

“I had a lovely sausage and pepperoni pizza last night.”

That stuff is very unhealthy. Too much saturated fat, aside from also having too many calories.

Why abuse your body with that garbage? I used to eat in a very unhealthy manner and for a while I

was very overweight. A small amount of lean beef or roast chicken breast isn’t  bad, but high

fat beef or pork like hamburger, cold cuts, sausage etc. should be avoided by everyone.

JK98 wrote:

That stuff is very unhealthy. Too much saturated fat, aside from also having too many calories.

Why abuse your body with that garbage? I used to eat in a very unhealthy manner and for a while I

was very overweight. A small amount of lean beef or roast chicken breast isn’t  bad, but high

fat beef or pork like hamburger, cold cuts, sausage etc. should be avoided by everyone.

I don’t eat it on a daily basis, but I like so few vegetables that I need to eat a fair amount of meats to get enough protein.

JK98 wrote:

Im 22 and I eat both the pizza thats bad for you and the lean meats veggies that are good for you. The problem is If I ate only healthier foods Id look like a tooth pick. I eat the crappy stuff to maintain my weight. I went on a health food kick a while back and went from 210 to 150 in 3 weeks. I have an athletes metabolism.  

@jk98 wrote:

If you don’t like what we eat, you don’t have to visit this thread.

As Emeril says:  “Pork Fat Rules!”

“I don’t eat it on a daily basis, but I like so few vegetables that I need to eat a fair amount of meats to get enough protein.”

You can get protein from fish, eggs, and low fat dairy products, as well as from vegetarian sources like tofu, lentils, wheat gluten, etc. It is a good idea to have at least 2 types of protein at each meal. The reason to eat vegetables and legumes is not mainly for protein, but for minerals, vitamins, and fiber. As for not liking vegetables and legumes, I was the same way when I was young, until I learned about spices. I didn’t know what lentils were until I ate them in an Indian retaurant when I was in my 30s.

Those who need many calories don’t need to eat junk food. They can eat plenty of  nuts, seeds, avocados, etc. that are healthy and high in calories.  Some would also advise eating plenty of dried figs, dates, and raisins, however imo there is  too much sugar in those even though they are loaded with vitamins and minerals

(brush your teeth after eating these, as the are very sticky and the sugars from these stick to the teeth and can cause cavities if left on the teeth a long time).

“If you don’t like what we eat, you don’t have to visit this thread.”

Eat what you want, but keep in mind that there are consequences to what you eat. Keep this expression in mind-“You are what you eat.”

Message Edited by JK98 on 03-25-2010 08:03 PM

JK98 wrote:

It’s all a matter of moderation. If you generally eat healthy foods and portions most of the time, then you can splurge once in a while and it won’t kill you.

People tend to fawn over indulgence, whether they actually succumb to the whim or not. Take the Mmmmm . . . Bacon thread for example. Popular thread, but do people eat it every day? There’s even a bacon-of-the-month club. Bacon is the ‘hot’ food right now. Like Sushi was a few years ago. Nothing wrong with appreciating it for what it is and exercising good judgment when consuming it.

But to read that thread, one might get the idea that’s all people eat. It’s a sinful indulgence, that’s all. People like to talk about and share their passion for sinful indulgences, especially the culinary variety. Some people simply go gaga (no, not Lady) over chocolate. And then there are wine-lovers, and coffee connoisseurs. All can be bad for you in excess, but in small amounts, they can actually be beneficial to one’s health.

But just how popular do you think a Mmmmm . . . Salad thread would be? :smileyvery-happy:

@jk98 wrote:

“I don’t eat it on a daily basis, but I like so few vegetables that I need to eat a fair amount of meats to get enough protein.”

You can get protein from fish, eggs, and low fat dairy products, as well as from vegetarian sources like tofu, lentils, wheat gluten, etc. It is a good idea to have at least 2 types of protein at each meal. The reason to eat vegetables and legumes is not mainly for protein, but for minerals, vitamins, and fiber. As for not liking vegetables and legumes, I was the same way when I was young, until I learned about spices. I didn’t know what lentils were until I ate them in an Indian retaurant when I was in my 30s.

Those who need many calories don’t need to eat junk food. They can eat plenty of  nuts, seeds, avocados, etc. that are healthy and high in calories.  Some would also advise eating plenty of dried figs, dates, and raisins, however imo there is  too much sugar in those even though they are loaded with vitamins and minerals

(brush your teeth after eating these, as the are very sticky and the sugars from these stick to the teeth and can cause cavities if left on the teeth a long time).

“If you don’t like what we eat, you don’t have to visit this thread.”

Eat what you want, but keep in mind that there are consequences to what you eat. Keep this expression in mind-“You are what you eat.”

Message Edited by JK98 on 03-25-2010 08:03 PM

I’ve been to culinary school and have worked in the food industry on and off for many years, so I don’t need a lecture about food.

This is supposed to be a fun thread, not a pulpit for your views.  I welcome any and all food ideas, no matter how  bizarre.

Hmmmm. Weren’t you the one looking for an unusual ice cream flavor?  Ice cream is one of the most unhealthy foods on the face of the planet; but I’m not here to make judgements.

Bring on any food idea or meals.  They are all welcomed.

PS.  One of the most delicious meals I ever had was when my Cousin and I visited some native Eskimos and we dined on nothing but freshly killed whale and whale fat…nice, fresh and bloody…

“It’s all a matter of moderation”

Would you advise people to smoke in moderation, or not to smoke at all?

"I’ve been to culinary school "

I often watch the Food Channel, and am amazed at how overweight many of the chefs are, and how unhealthy many of the dishes they are preparing are(there are obviously some exceptions to this). It seems like chefs as a group are on average much more overweight than the general population.

Cooking with plenty of butter? Frying many foods? Using high fat beef or pork? Using too much salt? Do they have courses about nutrition and healthy eating in culinary schools? Only recently have medical schools added courses in nutrition and healthy eating, however they are probably not that intensive.

You seem to be implying that good tasting food needs to be unhealthy. Great tasting food can be very healthy.

Spices such as garlic, cayenne pepper, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, etc. are very beneficial for health.

As for ice cream, it is very rare that I eat it, and when I do eat it what I  eat is low fat sugar free.

I used to eat a horrible diet but have changed my ways.

Message Edited by JK98 on 03-25-2010 08:38 PM