Fanfare

I tried a download from Fanfare.  Very slow download.  Three hours for a 90 minute video through my cable modem (which usually runs at close to 2000Kbps).

Picture quality of the download was very good but at that download rate, I am not sure I will ever use the service.

Have others had a similar experience?

Yes this is a knows issue to Fanfare. I think they are trying to improve the download speed. Please stay in touch. :smiley:

This is a problem for sure, but for me the issue is, where’s the promised content? It’s been 3 months since they announced Fanfare/NBC Universal content (NBC, Bravo, Sci-Fi), and all we have is “Coming soon” messages for a couple of NBC shows. NBC Universal was the key factor for me in deciding to buy a TakeTV and to cancel my cable.

I called Fanfare support and got someone on the line who seriously didn’t know he was on the Fanfare line. He told me to call Fanfare support (I called the Fanfare number, which is the SanDisk number, and followed all the prompts for Fanfare support). No one, including their press rep, seems to know if or when the content’s coming.

Really hoping SanDisk/Fanfare peeps are reading this…you put out an awesome product, but you’ve got to follow through with it! 

I’m still looking around for Fanfare info every once in a while, and just found this:

The Fanfare beta has come to a conclusion, and the Fanfare application will be disabled as of 5/15/08.
We thank you for your participation and interest.

The Fanfare beta has come to a conclusion and the Fanfare application will be disabled as of 5/15/08.  SanDisk will no longer be offering the FanFare service. SanDisk would like to thank you for your interest and participation.

Well gee, we got that already (see post above). But what is Sansa planning to do for the people who already bought TakeTVs, which are now effectively crippled? Some of us don’t want to load up with illegal downloads, and fanfare was the only d/l program that supported TakeTV.

They’re going to need to find an alternative or start issuing rebates. 

@shloom wrote:

Well gee, we got that already (see post above). But what is Sansa planning to do for the people who already bought TakeTVs, which are now effectively crippled? Some of us don’t want to load up with illegal downloads, and fanfare was the only d/l program that supported TakeTV.

They’re going to need to find an alternative or start issuing rebates. 

fanfare was only a beta. i can not recall any promises that it would go into full production. besides your take tv can still play movies form other sources.

Promises? No. No company is stupid enough to make promises, these days. But assuming that you stay within the bounds of the law, there is precious little unprotected mainstream content to download—and the TakeTV doesn’t support protected content. Fanfare was a large part of the TakeTV’s draw, and pulling the beta instead of going gold was a ■■■■ thing to do to the customers.

Yeah, thanks for taking our money and not supporting the product we bought, you awesome awesome people!

Bold= Changed by a mod

Please note that profanity no matter how frustrated is not tolerated on these Forums. Failure to follow the TOS of the forums will result in a 24hr ban up to but not limited to a permanent ban.

Message Edited by Twistedaura on 08-11-2008 02:00 PM