failed to install sansa clip

Ive already contacted Sansa through the 1-800 number but didnt get anywhere.  The computer recognizes new hardware when i connect the usb.  A pop up appears asking me to install the (recommended) solution… now, in the corner of my screen the “progress” window sits however… after about 10 seconds it stops and a new pop up appears asking me to insert disc or if i do not have it click here.   Unfortunately my computer is not recognizing the driver or software… any help please!

Try switching to MSC in Settings > System Settings > USB Mode (on your Clip).

I have done this, I have switched to every usb mode, I have reformatted the mp3 player. I have also gone to the website to try downloading the driver and all has failed.  Is my computer missing something that maybe I have removed in the past?  This is my 2nd clip because I thought the first one was defected, but I get the same results.  I did have a sansa fuze and it worked perfectly with no issues.

Set the usb mode on the player to msc. Is your pc a desktop or notebook? For a notebook, make sure the notebook is plugged into AC power before connecting the Clip. For a desktop, connect the player to a USB port in the rear, since front usb ports might provide too little power. Try connecting the player directly, and not through a hub or a usb extension cord. Try disconnecting all other usb peripherals before connecting the player. If there is a USB1 peripheral connected to the same usb controller(a usb controller may control a few usb ports), then all the items connected to that usb controller may revert to usb1.  USB1 may not provide enough power to power up the Clip so it is recognizable by the pc. Try using a different usb cable(did you try using different usb cables with the two Clips you tried?)

By the way, what type of computer/operating system?

I wish I knew what was causing this, because I am having the same problem!

To get help, you really need to tell us what you did/what your system is/etc.–the particulars.

Or, call SanDisk Customer Service:  In the U.S., 1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us

DarcyJ wrote:
I wish I knew what was causing this, because I am having the same problem!

To get help, you really need to tell us what you did/what your system is/etc.--the particulars.  "Me, too" isn't really enough.  ;)

Or, call SanDisk Customer Service:  In the U.S., 1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us.