External Drive no free space, or so it says

Hello all,

I have a Sansa Fuse 8GB with an external of an additional 8GB

On the external drive, I have 1 audiobook already loaded.  I have been trying to add my latest acquisition.

When I go into the 'Info" screen under Settings, I am told that there is 7572MB of memory remaining,

yet when I try to add to this external drive, even the smallest file (as a test) I’m told memory is full.

I’m probably needing to reformat the external drive, but I’m unsure if that is indeed what I need to do, or even

how to do it without creating problems if I jump in without advice and do it wrong.

What then happens to the folders, how do I recreate them, etc.  Is there firmware to then reload?

Any help would be greatly appreciated… I’m a real novice at this!

Thank You…

Are you in MSC Mode (under Settings/System Settings)? It should just drag-and-drop. The firmware update switches to Auto-Detect or MTP by default.

You could also run Error-checking on it (right-click on the card in Computer or My Computer, Properties/ Tools/Error-Checking) to see if a bad file is making trouble.

If you do need to format the microSD card, just do it through Windows. (Fuze in MSC mode, find the drive, right-click, Format.) There’s no firmware to reload on the card.

The Fuze’s own internal storage can be formatted under Settings/System Settings, without disturbing the Fuze firmware. 

As you know, formatting will remove everything, so don’t do it before backing up your files. 

Hello again, I have some success to report, and for those who have the same problem, here is what happened: 

Are you in MSC Mode (under Settings/System Settings)? It should just drag-and-drop. The firmware update switches to Auto-Detect or MTP by default.

I have in the past, used MTP for drag and drop.   In that mode, I removed the one audiobook that was on the external drive, so it was “empty”, no files showing, yet “Properties” showed a full card.

You could also run Error-checking on it (right-click on the card in Computer or My Computer, Properties/ Tools/Error-Checking) to see if a bad file is making trouble.

While in MSC Mode, the external card was not recognized.   So, while there, I did a Volume Check on the Internal and found no errors.   The volume showed 3.3GB used; 4.23GB free, so both sets of memory were not recognized in MSC Mode, only the internal.  

If you do need to format the microSD card, just do it through Windows. (Fuze in MSC mode, find the drive, right-click, Format.) There’s no firmware to reload on the card.

I did do an external drive format while I was in MTP mode, as in MSC it was not recognized.  

I apparently was successful, after refreshing, the files Audiobooks, MSC and Podcasts reappeared.  

So no worries on that concern.   

The Fuze’s own internal storage can be formatted under Settings/System Settings, without disturbing the Fuze firmware. 

I will keep this hint for another time, I seem to be up and working, and I thank you for your guidance.

I don’t know how to mark this as solved, but it is, Hooray… and Thanks!

With all due respect, this is not working for me.  I’m going from MTP to MSC and all in between, but it’s still showing only 7.6 gig avail on my 16gig external card.  What gives?

Was anything on the card? How did it get there (MSC mode or MTP mode–your computer can only see one at a time, so if you transferred something in MTP you won’t see it in MSC, and vice versa.)

If it’s a new, empty card, it’s conceivable you got a 8GB card packaged as a 16GB.