EQ help: how best to adjust the 5 bands of the EQ's Custom setting (and to understand them)?

An admitted EQ neophyte here, and as much as I try to understand multiple EQ bands beyond the old bass and treble knobs on stereos, it just doesn’t get through.

So, right now with my (nice) phones, there is a slightly muffled tone to the sound and a slightly lesser bell-like, clear tone to it. If I wanted to lessen the muffle a bit and add some clarity while still keeping the player’s saturated, rich sound, would the best approach be to leave the lower 2 bands as they are (is that where the muffle enters the picture?), but increase the middle band a little (2 steps or so) and increase the 2 upper bands a little more (4 steps or so–does the clarity come from the upper bands?)? Or, some other, better approach? This is for vocal music.

Also, am I correct that if I increase all the bands equally, the effect is only to increase the volume with no tonal change, as all frequencies have been increased equally?

One nice further addition to the player would be to have the band “settings” for the presets show, as they do for the Custom setting–would be helpful, for understanding the causes and effects of the bands’ positionings.

Thanks–

Why not just experiment with it a little? You can hear the difference as you adjust each one in real time while making the adjustments- so just play around, and you’ll quickly see thye differences much more clearly than if anyone explained it to you with words. And, no- boosting all the bands doesn’t just raise the volume, it does alter the tone.

I have been experimenting, but also am seeking the advice of others.  With 5 different bands and innumerable permutations, I find that helpful.  For example, by experimenting alone, I would not have learned that raising all bands equally indeed does change the tone, as you note.  Thanks for your advice.

Miikerman wrote:

For example, by experimenting alone, I would not have learned that raising all bands equally indeed does change the tone, as you note.  Thanks for your advice.

Sure ya would have- that’s how I learned it! :slight_smile:

Start with all the bands in their neutral (middle) positions, and just take one band at a time and explore its’ full range- you’ll see the exact effect it has on the sound quality (for example: The left-most band effects the lowest bass frequencies…turning it all the way down minimizes the bass; while the right-most band effects the highest treble frequencies…turning all the way up brings out the highs; turning it all the way down conceals them. The bands in the middle just effect the frequencies in between.)

How one adjusts the EQ will depend alot on both the type of music you listen to, and your own taste.

I find that I get the richest sound with these settings (which gives me powerful bass; with good mids and highs)

From left to right:

1)up all the way.

2)Down 25%

3)up 25%

4)up 25%

5)up 50%

PS: I find that these settings work for me with all types of music- from oldies to classical!

Great–that’s helpful and I’ll try it. Hopefully others will offer suggestions as well, including to the original sound tone inquiry.

Usually if it sounds muffled, adjusting the two left-most bands will fix it- but it depends on the type of music too- music that does not have alot of low-frequencies will not be effected as much in those bands as music that does have alot of lows. When you say vocal music, do you mean like opera…or more like just pop songs with lyrics?

Like I said- 2 minutes playing with the thing, adjusting each band to its’ extremes, will be a good education, and will answer your question as it pertains to your music and taste. Do it while listeningto a song that you are very familiar with.

Thanks–as I said, I ineed have been experimenting and wanted to see what others have found as well.  One never knows what one might not know–the value of these boards.  Pop-like vocals.

Yep…these boards are great! I knew everything I needed to know about my Clip before it even arrived, thanks to this board and ABI.

I was surprised to see YOU posting this question, Miikerman- you seem to be an advanced user. (I’ve learned ALOT from you- I’m a noob.  Oh…I’m just familiar with the EQ’s because back in the day, all decent stereos used to have customizeable EQs- and well they should! My great old IAWA home stereo [may it rest in pieces] used to have FIVE customizeable EQ settings!)

One thing I’ve found with the settings that cllipman proposed is that my left earbud has a noticeable amount of buzzing when playing many of the songs I’ve had.  At first I noticed it with the song “Everything in its Right Place” by Radiohead.  The buzzing also occurs with my $30 set of Sony headphones and I’m wondering if it’s the player, the headphones, or just the settings. 

It seems weird that it’s only in one ear and that on both headphones it’s the same ear.

Glad to hear that I could help, Clipman.  EQs always get to me–I don’t use them much, and changing one band can change the entirety–a huge number of permutations there.  I always find it helpful to hear others’ experiences/solutions.  

Chris- it could be that there’s alot of bass on the left channel in that song- and maybe your phones cant handle it. Does it buzz at all volume levels, or just when it gets up to a certain point?)- I’m not familiar with the artist or song…so is this like really “bassie” music? (My EQ setting really brings out the bass…so if it’s a bassie song to begin with…I could see it being hard on some phones)

Then again, I’ve heard people complaining that there is a noticable lack of volume on the left channel of their Clips…I think there are some units out there that are defective in this area…hope yours isn’t going that way…

Miikerman wrote:

Glad to hear that I could help, Clipman.  EQs always get to me–I don’t use them much, and changing one band can change the entirety–a huge number of permutations there.  I always find it helpful to hear others’ experiences/solutions.  

Hehe…if you think there are alot of permutations with a 5-band EQ, you shoulda seen the old 12-band ones! :)  (They were really kinda overkill…)

Ya know what though? The value in playing around with it is: You quickly learn what band effects what part of the music (By playing with one band at a time, while leaving the others flat) and then it’s easy to anticipate what you need to do to get the sound where you want it. And since not all EQ’s work in the exact same way…and some will also have different effects depending on the speakers/headphones in use and the general design of the audio equipment, ultimately, experimentation is essential on any unfamiliar equipment.

Yep; thanks.