e280 v2 firmware - is it possible to revert to older version? If not, still have questions

I just upgraded my newest e280 v2 to the newest firmware, and wish I hadn’t - is it possible to revert?  (I tried a search of the forum first, with inconclusive results.)

The reason I don’t like it is that when in the Sansa stereo dock it now goes to standby instead of shutting down.  Sure, it comes back on instantaneously, but what kind of power is it drawing?  (And it does not do an actual shutdown eventually, it appears, as the behavior was the same after overnight.)  I also liked it when you could see the little animated green battery to indicate it was charging, which I’m assuming is also gone. (?)

If the firmware can’t be taken back to the previous version, is there any way to get it off, *off* in the dock?  Putting it in while off doesn’t do it, as it comes on…!  Pushing the power button on the e280 itself while in the dock doesn’t do it, as it goes:  on, settings, standby again.  Besides, what then is the point of having a remote…?!

Darn, I’m sick of messing with the things!  (See threads with subject that mentions a clock radio…)  I said I was going to leave the firmware alone, and then I stupidly didn’t.  Will I never learn…?! 

Yes, you can install any version firmware you wish, as the binaries are complete stand-alone installations, and not “patches”.  You’ll note that the v1 device, when powered off in the dock, shows the cool big battery “charging” logo.

The v2, when in standby, charges, but the display sleeps.

You can install an earlier version v2 firmware, like the .14 version, by simply changing the last two digits of the hyperlink from “16”.  The earlier versions are maintained on the SanDisk server.  Just stay away from the 11 version, as it has no MSC mode selection unless you force it manually.

Before updating the v2, just what was different when docking?

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

It behaved as you describe the v1 - “goodbye” if it didn’t need charging, the cute green battery if it did.  And “SanDisk Sansa” when it turned on.

I believe the firmware it came with was 3.01.11A.  You had to force MSC mode, in any case, which I’ve never minded as I put my music on there and leave it alone, with the exception of a very occasional CD purchase. 

Thanks for the info about the firmware - I’m assuming it *does* apply to 11 and earlier, even though you adivse against it due to the “force MSC” issue…? 

The “change the URL” trick worked fine for version 14, but version 11 doesn’t seem to be around anymore (I Googled also).  Does anyone happen to have a URL for version 11?

The v2 devices originally shipped with 3.01.11.  Like the View and Connect, they were originally set up as MTP-only devices, unless you forced MSC mode.  The 03.01.11 firmware was never offered as an update, so we don’t see it here.  The two available versions are 03.01.14 and 03.01.16.

I liked the “big battery” icon for the v1 devices.  It was a surprise to see it dropped on the later v2.  I don’t think it possible to pull the current firmware (installed) from the reserved partition of the v2, as once the device is happy with the checksum, it installs the binary.  Thus, no version 11 is out in the wild.

Going into standby mode, the v2 “plays possum” until unplugged.

µsansa

Message Edited by microsansa on 06-30-2009 05:11 PM

Thanks for the info - much appreciated!

It’s mainly the “playing possum” part that bothers me - I assume it is drawing *some* power, even when not charging, as it comes back on instantaneously.  And I assumed, with the original firmware, that it was not drawing power after it said “goodbye.”  Do you know if my assumptions are correct? 

Not that it matters in any practical sense - I’m going to go back to my own original resolution and leave it the heck alone if it works, which in this case means “leave the firmware alone, even if you liked it better the way it was.”

I don’t like the ‘stand-by’ mode of the v2 units while docked either. I’d prefer if it totally ‘turned off’ like my v1’s do. As a work-around (albeit a PITA), I always pull the player from the dock when I’m through listening to it through my stereo, then turn it OFF. I plug it back into the dock when I’m ready for more ‘public’ tunes and it fires up in the same place as I left it.

So I’m assuming you are of the opinion that it *does* draw power (even if only a smidge) when it’s in standby?  (I didn’t see how it could *not*, but was hoping…)

However miniscule the power drain is, when you combine it with all the other power ‘vampires’ that are in our homes & workplaces today, it adds up.

Plus if it is ON , albeit in standby mode, that means there is some current running through it, effectively reducing it’s useful life span. I’d rather use that juice for what it is intended for; playing music.

Of course this is just my humble opinion.

I agree with your humble opinion, and will start doing the same.

If I went back to 14a, do you happen to know offhand if I’d get my shutdown back?  Probably not, I’m guessing, but hope springs eternal. 

I’m not familiar with the .14a firmware, but I don’t think it was out too long before the last version .16a replaced it. Personally, all of my v2’s have gone straight from the .11a that it came with to the .16 version.

I’m going to solve my problem by getting one of those “smart” power stips and letting the stereo receiver be the controller.  I should get several, actually.

Also thinking about one of those “kill-a-watts” that tells you how much power things draw - I was just reading about a piece of equipment that drew 20 watts in *standby*!  My stereo equipment is pretty old, so I’m wondering how much it draws. 

Pity, we have mad “the sky is falling” concern over the standby current draw of home electronics.

Yes, there was a day when the heater circuits for the vacuum tubes kept your television ready for instantly springing to life, but consider for a moment the difference in draw betwen “on” and “off” for modern electronics.

The difference in efficiency between the old, and the new, has grown respectably larger over each generation of devices.

It’s a tribute to the engineering involved in these machines.  The real problem is that we have communications majors making mad proclaimations about the evil “vampires” connected to that wall outlet, making us feel the “requisite” guilt over our usage of electrical power.  I’ve had enough of that.  What we really need are more trained engineers, or at the very least, proper education in the sciences for the unwashed masses.

The power plant is distributing the fruits of its spinning generators, alternating current, pased through multiple transformers and requisite switching systems, even corrections in phase as it travels to your home.  The sad truth is that once the turbines spin the massive AC generators, that energy has to go somewhere, regardless of demand.  It’s a closed system, with the electrical load variables only partly controllable on the distribution side.

Thus, as our homes collectively drop their demands upon the system to “standby levels”, the real issue is the peak demand requirement, and the overall generating capacity required to meet that peak.

So, we sit at home feeling guilty, or more correctly, being made to feel guilty, for our lack of concern for the planet.  Again, this is fear mongering at its finest.  True conservation means collectively watching our power usage during the busiest periods, so we can keep the required generating capacity most efficiently used.  Simply put, less energy consumption by having less spinning turbine generators.

We traumatize our electronics by feeling guilty and cycling them on a power strip, increasing transients, losing their basic settings, all things that will drive these devices to an earlier grave, and yes, this means more trauma in the form of disposing those dead electronic devices.

Sorry, enough of my engineer’s rant.  What do I know?  Perhaps the training from MTV is more apropos than real bookwork?  None of those guys can even spell “slide rule”.

On topic, vncoffman,  I am jealous of your e280v2s, I have a craving for a backup device, as the e200 is the engineer’s Sansa, no doubt: it has a metal cover plate with screws, and replaceable components.  Anything with metal cover plates makes the engineer happy.

And think how we are collectively helping our energy consumption by listening to the music while consuming mere milliwatts of energy.  Save the Planet, go Sansa!!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I enjoyed your rant very much - most educational!  So I take it that your advice is leave well enough alone, regarding the smart power strips?  I’m still thinking about that kill-a-watt just to satisfy my curiousity about what’s consuming what around my house.  They’ve got them down to less than $25.

Yes, I love the way the e200 is built.  Taking the back off of the malfunctioning one was almost enough of a pleasure to make up for its insanity.  (Not quite…!  ;-> )