e280 Firmware issue

Hello! I recently tried to update the Firmware on my e280, but the “e” looked like a “c”, so I used the wrong file. Is there any possible way to fix this? Right now, I just have a white screen, and the computer doesn’t seem to recognize it. :cry:

Try a reset by holding the power button for 20-30 secs. Release and press again to turn it on. With any luck, it should start up and run with the previous version of firmware you had on it before you tried to update it. The player should ignore any ‘wrong’ firmware, so no damage should have been done.

Do you know if you have a v1 or v2 model?

Usually copying the wrong firmware file does nothing at all. The player just ignores it. Can you explain what you did in more detail?

Hi! I did a manual install of the incorrect firmware by holding the rec button while the hold button was turned on and pasting the files onto the device. It worked before, but now, I only get a white screen. The screen turned white right after I unplugged it from the computer. The computer doesn’t even see it when I plug it in. :frowning:

That didn’t work. :frowning: I have a v1 model. The screen, sadly, is still white.

Ok what you did is a lot different than just updating the firmware. Basically, you erased the device’s software and replaced it with garbage. Hence, its now really broken.  This can be fixed, but its extremely difficult.  See the instructions here:

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaE200Unbrick

You will need to use e200tool and follow the directions under “Manufacturing Mode”.

Try to download and install the original firmware manually. I hope that will do the trick for you. 

@markwahl wrote:

Try to download and install the original firmware manually. I hope that will do the trick for you. 

This is not possible given the state of the player.  The code that operates USB mode has been erased.