e260 will not turn on unless plugged into a computer

A few days ago I just wanted to update my e260 and charge it. I did, and once unplugged, it immediately turned off. I thought this was weird, and when I tried to turn it on, it just doesn’t do anything. It’s a version 2, and from what I’ve herd there isn’t a recovery mode or whatever that is called. I have gotten it to show up on the computer, but it is completely empty (no music, videos or recordings). I did this by putting it on hold and plugging it in with the enter button held. The battery isn’t the problem (most likely) because its pretty much charged. I really have no idea what happened. The problem might have been that when I uploaded music, it was on ubuntu (the operating system). Does anybody have a suggestion?

Forgot to tell but I don’t know what firmware version it is because I never needed it. I never changed it from the preset.

I have an e260 v2 and have exactly the same problem.  This also just happened a few days ago.  I just purchased a new battery, but no luck.

From what I can tell my firmware version is 3.01.16 based on the Sansa Updater. I thought maybe reloading the firmware would help.   In order to reload the firmware you have to be able to open a “.bin” file which Windows will not do, so I am also stuck…

Dead battery? FWIW, updating the firmware is easy, just follow the directions. That said, if the battery really is dead i’m not sure how safe that is. Usually you want a fully charged battery when flashing a device.

I have a new battery so that is not an issue.  I followed the directions and downloaded the firmware.  It is a ZIP .bin file and Windows 7 will not open it.  How do I open it?

@tadclark wrote:

I have a new battery so that is not an issue.  I followed the directions and downloaded the firmware.  It is a ZIP .bin file and Windows 7 will not open it.  How do I open it?

You have to extract, or decompress the .zip file first. Then simply drop the extracted  .bin file onto the player’s top (or root) directory.

What s/w do I use to decompress the zip bin file?  Windows 7 will not do it.

You decompress the ZIP file, not the bin file. The built in Windows software will do it.