e260 refurb. Oh boy, do I need help

Hi, I bought an e260 refurb for my daughter.  I have 2 other sansa and quite like them, and know how to use them on my system… Ah, my system, I am using Ubuntu, which makes everything more difficult. 

My problem is, when I connect the e260 to my computer, nothing happens!  The computer does not see it all all, even if I try looking for it in the computer’s system and files.  I have tried just connecting it when it is off.  I turns on and says connected but nothing happens.  I’ve tried turing it on and holding down the left arrow key to force msc like with my view.  Nothing happens.  I can use the radio feature, but I have no idea it the other feature work.

Please tell me some one has ideas for me.  Don’t forget I’m using this crappy Ubuntu.

–Hazel

Have you tried with different cords? 

While turned OFF put it on HOLD and then hold << while connecting.  That should force it to MSC mode to be read by your computer. 

If not, surely you must know someone somewhere who has that extremely rare Windows setup.

Yes, have tried with 3 different computer cords. 

While turned OFF put it on HOLD and then hold << while connecting.  That should force it to MSC mode to be read by your computer. 

Tried that, didn’t work.

I do know someone with a windows set up, but I’d like to be able to use it on my own computer, of course.

–Hazel

Obviously, if you use it on a friends computer with whatever OS and it doesn’t work, you may have a faulty item and can consider returning it. If it works, you may need to find a Linux answer to the e260. Are your other Sansas e200 series that work on Linux?

Have you checked Settings to make sure it is in MSC mode, not MTP?