e260 is stuck on "Refresh Database" :(

I tried to add songs to my new Toshiba Thrive tablet.  It never recognized it so I disconnected it.  It was then stuck on “refresh database” for several minutes.  I rebooted the e260 then it said the were no songs on it.  I connected it to a laptop, it never recognized it either.  Still no songs.  I recorded a 5 second clip to see if this would refresh the database, that didn’t work either.  Now it is just stuck on “refresh database” and wont do anything.  I have rebooted several times and have recycled the battery twice, still nothing.  I am all out of ideas and have a LONG drive soon.  Any ideas?  Thanks!!

See if this helps:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-other-MP3-players/Freshest-e250-ever/td-p/239742

I can try to format it.  I won’t be able do so until I get home…this will a long 4 hour car ride without any music.  LOL

I cannot even reformat.  None of the laptops even recognize the device.  It is called “MTP USB Device.”  I literally can’t do anything with it.  It says it’s writing while plugged in, but nothing happens.  I cant access anything on the player either.  When I unplug it, it is stuck on “writing.” When I restart it it, it is stuck on “refreshing database.”  Is my e260 toast?  SIGH

@beanteaser wrote:

I cannot even reformat.  None of the laptops even recognize the device. 

Did you follow the directions I linked above?  From your description, it doesn’t sound like it.  

I had to do it multiple times, I think on the 4th try it finally reformatted.  My computer now recognizes it and it no longer gets stuck on “refreshing database.”  I do, however, have a different set of problems.  Every time I try to transfer songs to the player, it says it cannot copy the file.  It also says “you do not have permission to create this item.”  It then gives me the option to “stop copying” or “skip file.”  On the player itself it briefly said something about renewing a subscription.  I appreciate your help Saratoga, I think we are making progress!! 

Explain what you did and I’ll let you know if it sounds like anything I’ve run into.

I think I may be squared away now.  I formatted a second time using the option on the player.  I can now transfer like normal.  Thanks for the help!!!

@beanteaser wrote:

I cannot even reformat.   None of the laptops even recognize the device.  I t is called “MTP USB Device.”   I literally can’t do anything with it.  It says it’s writing while plugged in, but nothing happens.  I cant access anything on the player either.  When I unplug it, it is stuck on “writing.” When I restart it it, it is stuck on “refreshing database.”  Is my e260 toast?  SIGH

This is your problem. The e200 series must be formatted from the computer in MSC mode, not MTP. You can (and should) switch this in the Settings menu. But since you’ve been able to format it from the on-board Format function now, you should be OK.