E140

After changing the battery I can’t get past language selection. After I enter English I get an error message that the memory is low and I need to delete 4 MB of files from the system files. Help!

you’re seeing that error because there’s no enough space to the player to refresh its database.  what you need to do is delete a couple or more songs.  in case that didn’t work, you will need to format it and retransfer the songs. 

Solved my problem by updating firmware. Downloaded and unzipped STMP device driver.Download Sansa e140 Firmware. Started player in recovery mode which launches Windows new hardware Wizard. The Wizard recognizes the player as a STMP device.Loaded the STMP drivers( firmware will not load without them.) Open firmware file and follow instructions on installation. So far so good.

How do you download the firmware update?  The Sansa web site says the E140 is not supported any more.  I’ve looked around and I can’t find anywhere to get the firmware updater.

My E140 has firmware version 1.0.010A.  Is that the latest version?? 

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1295

where can u get the stmp driver? and how do you start the player in recovery mode

@belton180 wrote:
where can u get the stmp driver? and how do you start the player in recovery mode

The e100 does not have a recover mode, nor does it have an MTP mode. It’s basically a flash drive with headphones. 

http://localize-it.narod.ru/upgrade.htm

site for STMP driver download

Download and unzip STMP Driver

Download Sansa e140 firmware
Start player in Recovery Mode by holding down power button and immediately connecting PC via USB cableWindows will open Found New Hardware Wizard

Install STMP drivers

Open and install Firmware following instructions.

FIRMWARE WOULD NOT INSTALL WITHOUT FIRST INSTALLING STMP DRIVERS

This is the only info I can provide. It worked for me.

@h4ll3igh wrote:

@belton180 wrote:

The e100 does not have a recover mode, nor does it have an MTP mode. It’s basically a flash drive with headphones. 

if you looked at the title of the topic, it’s about the e140 not the e100

@whitwo wrote:

Start player in Recovery Mode by holding down power button and immediately connecting PC via USB cableWindows will open Found New Hardware Wizard

how long do you hold down the power button? or when will you release the power button? i can’t get the timing right

thanks for the reply

I think I plugged the USB cable into the PC, pressed the power button, immediately plugged the USB cable into the player while holding the power button down until the New Hardware Wizard opens on the PC. Might take some trial and error.

@belton180 wrote:

@h4ll3igh wrote:

@belton180 wrote:

e130 = 512mb

e140 = 1gb

Your player is 1gb and silver, right? So’s mine. I’ve had it for three years. It does not have a recovery mode, SanDisk didn’t start adding that to the firmware until the e200 series (e250, e260, e270, e280). There’s no power button trick built into your player, no other mode for the player to load itself into. You just plug it in and it either turns on, or it doesn’t…and if it doesn’t, then it’s probably dead.

@h4ll3igh wrote:

@belton180 wrote:

@h4ll3igh wrote:

@belton180 wrote:

e130 = 512mb

e140 = 1gb

Your player is 1gb and silver, right? So’s mine. I’ve had it for three years. It does not have a recovery mode, SanDisk didn’t start adding that to the firmware until the e200 series (e250, e260, e270, e280). There’s no power button trick built into your player, no other mode for the player to load itself into. You just plug it in and it either turns on, or it doesn’t…and if it doesn’t, then it’s probably dead.

so then what are these other guys talking about? 

I just cant get this right… whenever i click the START button in upgrading the firmware, the player powers up and the connection between the player and the software is lost…

can anyone help with this?

tks!

Read ALL of my posts!!!

I had the same problem… I used the firmware sansa-1.0.010a to retore.  The restored firmware shoes the selection of the language everytime now as the first selection.  When you restore the firmware you data will be erased.  I had all my data backed up on the  compture.  It is easy to put the data back on the Sandisk Salsa e140.  Noted that the firmware is not available now.  I did download the firmware in 2006. Lucky ME!

Home this helps.

Thank You - the directions still work in March 2010