Dropped Sandisk Clip Sport 8GB in water?

I accidentally knocked over my Sandisk and it slipped into the water for about a few brief seconds before I pulled it out. The music started to fade a bit and I remember turning it down before I ripped out the headphones and shut the entire thing off. But I I made the mistake of turning it back on, and the entire thing froze at the menu. I put it in a bag of rice and am allowing it to dry for a few days. My question is, did I cause it to short out by turning it on? Is that fixable? And is there any hope for my SanDisk?

@schnozzola wrote:

I accidentally knocked over my Sandisk and it slipped into the water for about a few brief seconds before I pulled it out. The music started to fade a bit and I remember turning it down before I ripped out the headphones and shut the entire thing off. But I I made the mistake of turning it back on, and the entire thing froze at the menu. I put it in a bag of rice and am allowing it to dry for a few days.

My question is, did I cause it to short out by turning it on?

Possibly.

Is that fixable?

If something inside did indeed short out, then no.

And is there any hope for my SanDisk?

Time will tell. You did the best thing by putting it into rice to absorb the moisture. Did you shake out as much water as you could before putting it into the rice? I would leave it in the rice for a week, changing the rice every couple of days. Don’t attempt to turn it on until after the week. Good luck!