DRM explained

if you don’t know what DRM is, watch this video :smiley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0BKFjxl5ck

What a load of C.R.A P.!

Quite the little gem there, marqck. Ought to be highly suggested viewing for all who visit this forum and required viewing for all who become members. :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 07-08-2009 12:59 PM

@tapeworm wrote:

What a load of C.R.A P.!

Quite the little gem there, marqck. Ought to be highly suggested viewing for all who visit this forum and required viewing for all who bcome members. :stuck_out_tongue:

Agreed!

Single Most informative, ground breaking, and enlightening film since This is Spinal Tap… But seriously, this makes it so easy to explain DRMs to people who have no idea what they are.

Thank you for posting that link!

here’s another one…

Ah, the joys of digital encryption.  In a perfect world, we would not need DRM.  It all boils down to compensating the rights holders for their works.

It’s a circular argument, actually: I will never advocate piracy as the solution to this mess.  In fact, piracy is what started all this ■■■■ in the first place.

Don’t get all fluffed up on this one, as there are parasites along the entire food chain between the artist and the final customer, both in the field, and in the industry itself.  20 years ago, when I saw cost per unit at 11 cents for a CD, versus a dollar for an LP (care to calculate the percent margin on that one?), I smelled a rat.

Years later, with a compressed image of that PCM digital recording going for a price based upon, well, simply dividing the retail price of the hard CD original, that rat is a big one.  From an engineering standpoint, factor in that those masters are poorly done (look up “loudness war” ), and the hair still stands on my neck.

Advocating a piracy solution is adding gasoline to the fire.  The solution?  Don’t be lazy with your downloaded media!  Write a valid copy to CD, or have a decent backup copy.  You paid good, hard-earned money for it.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 07-26-2009 10:25 AM