Drag and Drop

I have bought two clips recently. The first one was a simpler 2G model. It came from the local Office Depot.  The second was 4G purchased from the Sansa website. When I tried to load music from an MP3 that I downloaded from the net I put it on the desktop. Using Rhapsody I somehow got it into the first clip. Two weeks later I tried to put the same music into the second unit and have accomplished nothing. I have ‘dragged and dropped’ until I am ready to drop myself. I have tried to follow instructions but no results. Where do I go from here?

You should be able to drag & drop in both USB modes, but most people find MSC to be simpler and less confusing. Change this in Settings > System Settings. Don’t use the Auto Defect setting.

Another thing it could be since you mentioned Rhapsody. These aren’t songs you’ve downloaed from there, are they? If so, then that could be your problem. You essentially ‘rent’ music from Rhapsody. You don’t own it unless you pay an additional fee. And unless you ‘own’ it, you can’t be copying the file except to the player that is ‘authorized’. They use DRM-encryption to prevent that. And if this is the case, your player needs to be in MTP mode.

Thank you for answering. I am really dumb so be patient with me. Just what are the USB modes and MSC? Where and how do I change settings? Somehow the unit has one song of the ones I was trying to load, but I don’t know how it happened. These are songs, 17 of them, I downloaded as a zip folder from a different on line source. Not Rhapsody. I don’t know what I am doing different from before with the other clip.

The USB modes are different computer protocols used to connect devices and a computer via USB.  MSC (Mass Storage Class) mode is the older means, in which a device is seen as a storage device; MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) mode, developed by Microsoft, is newer, and allows for the transfer of files protected by digital rights management.  MTP mode also can be more finicky and has more software requirements, the reason why many will set the player to the (easier) MSC mode, if that is possible for them.  You can learn more about the modes on Wikipedia, for example.

The USB mode, as stated before, is set on the Clip.  Press the small home button, click down, as needed, to get to Settings and select that; click down to System Settings and choose that; and click down to USB Mode and select that and then the mode you wish.

if i already have files stored on the clip+ and change to msc, i dont see my files any longer, and vise versa. should that happen?

You mean on your computer (not the Clip), right?

yes.

and, to make it more interesting, when i try to save to my external SD on the clip+, no matter which mode i use, i dont see anything in the external folders.

does the clip+ have a limit of 30 folders for display or something like that, with the internal memory having preference?  i see no other reason why i cannot at all see folders on my external drive and why i dont see most on my internal drive (when i say drive, i mean on the clip+)

i guess i will have to call tech support, but there seem to be an awful lot of bugs on the clip+

With the Clip+, it appears that a computer will show all files that are on an external card, whether transferred to the Clip under MSC mode or MTP mode; on the internal card, a computer will show the files transferd to the Clip in the mode then connected to the computer under.  (Note:  I did not experiment with putting the files in different locations on the internal card; I put them on the top level.)

Does that help?

Also, as to the external card:  when connected under MTP mode, there is a separate MSC folder where the Clip+ stores my files transferred under MSC mode; when connected under MSC mode, files transferred under MTP mode appear under a Music folder.

@tdbomz wrote:
if i already have files stored on the clip+ and change to msc, i dont see my files any longer, and vise versa. should that happen?

Yes.

@tdbomz wrote:

Yes.

It’s also that way on the original Clip, the Fuze, the e200 series v1 & v2’s, and most likely every player (not only Sansas) that have both MTP & MSC connectivity.