Does the Clip+ work in Linux?

I would need something that works in linux for me to buy it.  Since the Clip+ can use the Ogg and FLAC codecs it got my attention.  

@castlefox wrote:

I would need something that works in linux for me to buy it.  Since the Clip+ can use the Ogg and FLAC codecs it got my attention.  

Selecting the MSC USB mode should do the trick.

The Fuze, with similar firmware to the Clip, only plays .ogg and .flac files that are encoded and tagged in certain ways. MSC will let you drag and drop, but you may have to re-encode or re-tag your .ogg and .flac files to make the Sansa happy. Do some searching on the Fuze board.

Using Ubuntu. Plugged in the USB cord and the file browser window opened with the Clip+ folders showing. I copied/pasted my artist folders to the Music folder and they play fine. Now I’m trying to figure out how to copy my playlists from Rhythmbox to the Clip+. I used Rhythmbox to save one to the Music folder (used save as M3U), the Clip+ shows the list, but says it’s empty. This appears to be the only problem, but probably not insurmountable.

Seems to work perfectly, except the the uSDHC card does not show up.  With the Fuze, it showed as another drive.  Not sure if this is normal everywhere, but it doesn’t bother me in any case as it’s faster to use a uSDHC adapter to load files, so I wouldn’t use this functionality in any case.

Haven’t tried it in MTP mode, never been a fan of that.

@sloth wrote:

Seems to work perfectly, except the the uSDHC card does not show up.

Have you been able to set up playlists and transfer them to the Clip+? I haven’t had any more time to fiddle with it, no need to reinvent the wheel if someone else already knows how…

@mikes wrote:

@sloth wrote:

Seems to work perfectly, except the the uSDHC card does not show up.

Have you been able to set up playlists and transfer them to the Clip+? I haven’t had any more time to fiddle with it, no need to reinvent the wheel if someone else already knows how…

Haven’t tried, but IIRC, the m3u files need to be in DOS mode (CRLF line terminations.)

@sloth wrote:

Haven’t tried, but IIRC, the m3u files need to be in DOS mode (CRLF line terminations.)

Got the playlists working, using Rhythmbox. It’s a little more complicated than just changing the characters that end the lines, but not too difficult. To hopefully save others a little trouble, here’s the procedure I used:

1. In Rhythmbox, choose Music–Playlist, and choose Save to File

2. If playlist format isn’t set to MPEG (*.m3u) then make that change

3. Save the file to the Music folder on the Clip+

4. Open the playlist file saved to the Clip+ in a text editor

5. Remove the path from each line - see below for more explanation

6. Search and replace / with \ for whole document

7. Save file, making sure to use CRLF as line ending format

About removing paths: The path that should be in the playlist on the Clip+ should be relative to the location of the m3u file, which is in the Music directory. For example, the original path from Rhythm box will be something like “/home/user/music/artist/album/song.mp3”. Assuming that you copied the artist directory to the Clip+, along with all albums and songs contained in it, the path that should be in the playlist should be “artist\album\song.mp3”.

This procedure worked for me. There may be simpler methods. If so, I’d like to know for future reference.

@mikes wrote:

@sloth wrote:

Got the playlists working, using Rhythmbox. It’s a little more complicated than just changing the characters

… 

This procedure worked for me. There may be simpler methods. If so, I’d like to know for future reference.

easytag can create playlists and it is possible to create relative DOS-type path directly. i think this is simpler.

struct