Docks that don't have plastic holders specifically for Fuze - breakable?

If I got a dock that didn’t have a plastic insert specifically for the Fuze, so that the Fuze was only supported by the 30-pin connector, how robust is that? In other words, could the connector break accidentally with a little bit of force?

Yes, so excercise caution and do so at your own risk. :wink:

Yes, so exercise caution and do so at your own risk. :wink:

I also got the dock for christmas. Saw a real nice photo of a mod someone did using a piece of foam and some sticky tape. I been looking for it today with no luck. Any one remember the thread? Should’ve of printed when I had it!

A piece of foam and some sticky tape . . . oh yeah, that sounds likes a bitchin’ mod alright!

Or were you sayiing it was a nice photo of a ‘Rube Goldberg’ set-up? :wink:

Seriously, while this certainly could be done I don’t recall seeing a photo like that posted here. Maybe it was linked to in some post, however. I think I’d just be careful with plugging it in & removing it though, rather than making it look like it was put together with duct tape and baling wire.

The Griffin Dock comes with three inserts for the back of the Sansa.

I use the dock with BOTH the e280 and the Fuze.  To provide adequate support for the Fuze, you can carefully cut the two locating pins from the back of the unused inserts, and glue them together in a sandwich fashion, providing proper support for the docked Fuze.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 12-20-2008 05:05 PM

No specific dock was mentioned, but that seems like a good work around for the Griffin. The Sansa base station (or dock) would require a bit more creative and customized engineering to function AND look good though.

No specific dock was mentioned, but that seems like a good work around for the Griffin. The Sansa base station (or dock) would require a bit more creative and customized engineering to function AND look good though.

That “bitchin’ mod” would be mine, Tworm…  :wink:

It took less than 1 minute to do and supports the Fuze perfectly.  I used some foam drawer liner that I happened to have around the house and some double sided tape… 

Btw, FWIW, the thin support plus the thickest support are not thick enough to support the Fuze.  There still is a space between the two supports and the back of the fuze, which is why I did it this way.

axon 

Hey!  Where’s the rubber band and paperclip?

That looks fine, actually.  I have all kinds of various strips of foam, rubber, vinyl, silicone rubber, et cetera, around the workshop.  The C200 insert, then a thin strip of 3M trim adhesive foam strip, then a trimmed C100 insert (with the two tabs removed) functions pretty well- it’s about 1mm thicker.

I think your wee strip of foam will work for years too!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@axon01 wrote:

That “bitchin’ mod” would be mine, Tworm…  :wink:

My apologies, Axon. It certainly looks better than what I had envisioned from the previously offered description. I dare say though, the Sansa base station might pose more of a challenge than the Griffin dock.

Good Job! :smiley:

The Sansa Base Station will require a custom insert, I feel, if used long term with the Fuze.  Supporting the device is a good thing, especially since one could inadvertently twink the player when reaching for it, or if the dock assembly falls.

After all, it has a dangling cable that one could feasibly catch under a toe.  This might send your Fuze into low Earth orbit!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: