I hope somone can help me out with this…
I just got a Clip and love it. I don’t use anything to sink files up or create playlists, but I’ve been keeping it in MTP mode when dragging and dropping files over because I thought I read on here that you lose some features or info if you use MSC mode (?). Anyways, I was at a friends house and downloaded a couple podcasts on their Mac laptop (I have a XP SP2 at home on my laptop). They had a USB to mini connector for their iPod that they use to transfer (and charge), so since I didn’t have mine with me, I just used theirs and conncected the player to their iPod.
First thing I noticed was that it automatically went to MSC mode and I could not get it to be recognized in MTP mode on the Mac book. So I couldn’t see the files I already had on the player and add these new ones to them (it would only let me add them in MSC mode, and then I’d have files on the player in two different modes, which wouldn’t be ideal because they wouldn’t be all together – so I didn’t bother transfering the files).
Second thing, of course, is that the player started charging. I figured, hey, it’s already down to half-power, I’ll just let it charge then. However, once it got to about 3/4 full on the bar meter on the player itself, it stopped charging! I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it then said it was back down to half-power again! Uh-oh… I got worried about that weirdness, so I just unconnected it. It seems to be working okay. And I’m going to wait until the battery completely dies before charging it here at home on my XP laptop.
1. Did I mess something up or hurt the player in anyway by connecting it to that Mac book with the iPod mini to USB cable? (Technically, they’re not meant to be used with Macs, right? And I can always bring it back to the store and get another one if needed…)
2. Why did it stop charging at 3/4 then go back down to 1/2 level and start charging again on the Mac book?
3. Is it possible that the battery got messed up by doing this and now won’t fully charge or work 100% correctly when I charge it on my XP laptop?
4. What are all the pros/cons of both MTP mode and MSC mode?
5. When recharging, is it better to let the player die then charge in full instead of charging it just a little bit here and there?
Any help is appreciated – thanks! Happy Holidays!