Did I "Brick" My New Fuze?

So Finally got around to buying my first MP3 player: a 4GB fuze.

Plugged her in, it came to life. Let it charge. Everything was fine. Checked it in “My Computer” to see what was already loaded on it.

Then I went to get the firmware update and Media Converter.

During the firmware update, my antivirus gave me heads up about “possibly dangerous” application wanting to run and wanted to know if I should deny it. So I figured, “It’s certainly just the update but I will deny it now and update later if required”. So I hit deny…figuring I’ll update later.

That pretty much killed it.

Now, when I plug it in. It still comes to life and my computer recognizes a device. But, when I actually go to “My computer” and open it up, there is NOTHING. I mean NOTHING. No folders, no files, Nothing.

When I run the Sansa Updater, it tells me it’s checking for updates and then says “No updatable Sansa Product has been recognized”.

It tell me to plug in my Sansa device and wait for instructions…but it’s already plugged in.

I’ve uplugged stuff, restarted the computer and reset the player. Same thing. My computer shows it empty and the updated won’t recognize anything.

I’ve had it for two hours. I never listened to single piece of music. I didn’t even unwrap the earbuds.

Did I brick it during the aborted update? 

Probably. But you can manually update the firmware by following the link in this post. Should recover with no problems.

Well, I think I’m too old for this.

According to the system info , V02.02.26A is on my fuze. 

The downloader just gives me a message that “No update is available at this time”…it still won’t recognize the device.

Funny thing is…I didn’t even really need an MP3 player. I just wanted to see what they were all about. I’me very disheartened.  

Hold on…some success.

After screwing around, I just turned the darn thing off, unplugged it, restarted the computer and pressed a few buttons.

For whatever reason, I can now access folders on the device…although, strangely, it all “looks” different than when I first plugged in the device.

This is a case of “it seems to be fixed but I have NO IDEA how I fixed it”.

I won’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

Thanks for reading my hopeless post. 

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:49 PM

Kbgair wrote:

Well, I think I’m too old for this.

According to the system info , V02.02.26A is on my fuze. 

The downloader just gives me a message that “No update is available at this time”…it still won’t recognize the device.

Funny thing is…I didn’t even really need an MP3 player. I just wanted to see what they were all about. I’me very disheartened.  

The downloader just checks the firmware version number to see if there’s anything newer. That’s all. It doesn’t check for corrupted firmware. The .26 version you’ve got is the latest version (w/o bugs) so you’re OK there.

If the firmware is corrupted you have to manually re-install it as I suggested above.

Don’t let these things get to you. You’re infinitely smarter than they are. :wink:

TomJensen wrote:
Sounds like files on the Fuze were erased. The updater probably looked for the file ‘version.sdk’ to check for version, and went TU when it can’t find it. Later you probably formatted the device using system settings, which restored the files & folders. It looks different because all of the sample MP3/video/photos are gone.

Except formatting will remove/erase all content in the player’s memory. It won’t restore them.

It most likely looks different because the USB mode was changed. MTP is a ‘virtual’ mode required if you use subscription services, like Rhapsody, Napster or Overdrive audio books from the library that are DRM-encrypted.

MSC makes the player (and card slot) appear as 2 separate additional drives in Windows Explorer.

To keep things simple, go to Settings/System Settings/USB Mode and make it MSC. That makes the Fuze work like a regular disc drive and you can drag-and-drop music onto it–into the Music folde or any new folder you want to make.

The other mode, MTP, is for people who use online services like Rhapsody to Go, Napster, Overdrive or NetLibrary. If you’re not using them, stick to MSC.