Device won't recharge/turn on

Hi all,

I’m quite new here and I’ve crawled through as many threads as I could to see if anyone had any similar issues with Sansa FuZe. 

I own a FuZe 8gb with a 16gb SDcard in, and resently I’ve been having ton of issues with it, basically all revolving the battery.

Seems like it won’t recharge. The short story is that when I connect it to my computer (running Ubuntu 8.10), and I don’t sync it in any way with a mediaplayer or anything. I only use it as a removable storage to add and remove music. It’s running FW rev 01.01.22.

When I connect it to the computer the device gives the following messages: Connected (in this state it charges from bottom to top), then Reading (still it’s charging, but now it is hugging the top), and then Connected again (still hugging the top with rechargin icon, until the next thing happens): at this point my computer recognizes the device and asks for an action. I just click these away as I don’t need to do anything but charge the device. Once I do this it stops charging, and when I unplug the device from my 'puter, I get to listen to it for about 30 seconds before it just shuts down pronto. It kinda “shortcircuits”, and then I can’t turn it on anymore. The device is in MSC mode for USB connection.

So far I’ve tried the following:

Connecting with USB and told my system to do nothing.

Connecting the USB via a box-thingy that can connect to a power outlet. When I do this it simply goes through the refreshing bit and keeps the device on without recharging, showing my batterymeter as empty. Upon unplugging from this thing it abruptly shuts down without any notice (just as when I get to listen to it).

Currently I’m copying all my music from the device in preparation for a factory reset, but I don’t really want to go through with it, as it’s painful and takes a lot of time.

Anyone have an idea? My first thought is that it’s broken or something, but the tech-part of my brain suggests that it’s something else, only I can’t see it…

First; try sliding the Fuze switch to ON and hold it there for at least 10 seconds …

I’m sorry, I should have included that.

I have of course tried this as well, and it seems it doesn’t react due to absolutely no batterypower at all.

How long have you had your Fuze? It sounds like it could be a hardware problem. If you’ve had it less then a month, you can probably return it to the store that you bought it at and get a new Fuze. However, if you can return it to the store then you should contact Sandisk about getting a replacement.

I’ve had it for almost 2 months (quick check reveals it’s 2 months at 13.03.09 if you care;)). I reckoned it could be a hardware issue, but I wanted to check before I went through the process of returning and such.

Perhaps I should just return it for a replacement…

Small update, if it helps anyone in finding a reason for my issue: It seems as if my device only recharges when connected to a computer as long as it’s doing something with the device itself.

Example: I just disconnected it for a short time to try it out, and I could listen to about 2 songs or summat before it shut down again, upon connecting it again, Rhytmbox started scanning it, and as long as it keeps scanning the device shows the recharging icon, as well as switching back and forth from reading and writing. Any ideas anyone?

Edit: Yep, confirmed now. It appears it won’t recharge while it’s in “connected” mode.

Message Edited by Skjegghatt on 03-04-2009 10:48 AM

Have you tried not plugging the USB cable all the way into the PC?  If you slide it in ~2/3 of the way, the GND and +5V pins on the USB make connection, but the data pins do not, and you can charge your sansa while listening to it.  Or at least I do.  Just ease the plug in bit by bit until it turns on and starts charging, or until the charge indicator comes on if it was already on.

Then if you need to move/copy/whatever to/from the device, just shove it the rest of the way in, or if you just wanted to charge, unplug it.

I suspect this won’t work, as you had it connected to a “charger only” adapter, and it didn’t work with that, but it’s worth a shot.

@tenzip wrote:

Have you tried not plugging the USB cable all the way into the PC?  If you slide it in ~2/3 of the way, the GND and +5V pins on the USB make connection, but the data pins do not, and you can charge your sansa while listening to it.  Or at least I do.  Just ease the plug in bit by bit until it turns on and starts charging, or until the charge indicator comes on if it was already on.

Then if you need to move/copy/whatever to/from the device, just shove it the rest of the way in, or if you just wanted to charge, unplug it.

I suspect this won’t work, as you had it connected to a “charger only” adapter, and it didn’t work with that, but it’s worth a shot.

With a wall or car charger you can listen anyway it doesnt say connected. And if you do only plug it in part way to your computer you may be asking for trouble. You could not only short your USB port or your player but you could even short out your whole PC. Its better to connect it all the way, and if your pc wont charge because its not recognized then I would suggest you try mtp mode as well (I know it wont work with Linux but it may charge), If not then check into a wall charger, this is actually the only way I charge at this point its faster and you can listen while you charge. If a wall charger wont raise it call SanDisk Tech Support about an RMA. 

Actually, I agree with you Conversionbox, but being of a curious nature I tried it anyway to see what happened. And just as I thought it started recharging at the bottom, then suddenly popped up to full. This leads me to believe that the device somehow believes it’s filled when it’s not. It charges for approx 5 minutes, then stops, yet still I never get to actually listen to anything.

Have any of you ever heard of something like this? Should I send it back to the site I bought it off and request a new one? The whole thing seems kinda faulty to me.

One of the most often confused concepts in electronics is the phrase “shorted” or “short circuit”.

By inserting the USB plug halfway, we are taking advantage of the design of the USB connector, and purposefully making an _ open circuit on the data connections._

If the Sansa has power on the outer two pins, but no data on the two center pins, it will charge using the 5v available on the two remaining ones.  Don’t worry about damaging your computer, as it is impossible to introduce a “short circuit” in this case.

A short circuit means that instead of power traveling through a load, or device, there is an electrical “shortcut” returning the power in a different path, making a shorter circuit, hence the name, “short circuit”.  If you were to drop a pan’s edge on a power cable, cutting into the cable, the resulting sparks and smoke are caused by the AC power taking this shortcut, which can involve more current than the circuit breaker is willing to pass.

The same thing can happen if a power outlet (well, remember when we called them “cigarette lighter sockets” ?) in your car has a penny or similar coin fall into it.  Poof.  Instead of the designed electrical load, the coin will flow too much current. 

These examples are " short circuits".

Okay, I’m putting the chalkboard away…  Back to the burning question, your Fuze in need of a charge.  The processor in your device handles all functions, including battery management.  Sometimes, if there is a communications issue, the processor can become distracted with this problem, and it will not properly handle the charging duties.

Check your Fuze by opening up a Windows Explorer window to see if the device shows up, by pressing [Windows key] + E.  See if the device is in MSC mode, listed under “devices with removable storage”, or MTP mode, where it is a media device listed under “other”.

Open the Device Manager via Control Panel or my favorite [Windows key] + [pause / break key].  This will bring up the System Properties box, then select the Hardware Tab > Device Manager.  If the Sansa is in MTP mode, it will display under Portable Devices. 

Look for yellow triangles signifying problems.  Simply right click and uninstall, then unplug the device.  Plug in again and see if you get a happy rolling battery and lightning bolt display.  As a footnote, I prefer to reboot the PC after uninstalling; you can try plugging in again as a shortcut.  If it doesn’t help, try the same procedure with a reboot.

Check the USB Root Hub, under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, starting with the last listed device spot.  The Sansa will be here, especially if it is in MSC mode.  Same procedure: uninstall, reboot, and plug in again.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks for the input, Bob. I’ll give these things a try when I get back to the mansion (a 4 by 3 room in a crummy studentvillage), where my gamestation is situated with Windows installed. I’ve had some issues with an external HDD after having it in Windows and not “safely removing it”, resulting in Ubuntu not willing to mount it. Similar problem could have occured, but in that case it should have been charging properly in Windows. I’ll check it out nonetheless, there might be something to what you are saying, as I haven’t as of today ever “safely removed” my device from the Windows machine.

I’ll get back to ya’ll with the results. Thanks for all the help so far.

Thanks n_bob for the assist.  If USB devices could “short” out that easy, there’d be a lot of smoke on this forum.  As Bob said, the design of the USB plug provides power before the data connection is made, that way the device has a chance to “wake up” before the PC starts asking for information, like, “what are you and what do you want me to do?”  If you take a look at the inside of your USB cable, the outside (power) pins are longer for this reason, so they make contact first.

No danger involved in not plugging in all the way.

It sounds to me like the OP has a defective charging circuit.  The fact that it won’t charge from a wall charger is IMO a bad sign.  I’d definitely try the firmware and such again, but the charging circuit is likely hardware, not software.

Okay, so I went through the steps and no danger signs. I tried ejecting it properly from the Windows platform, so I can rule it if it’s a problem in that sense or not. Currently trying the outlet thingamajigg again, to see if it will charge then. If that is the case, then I know what the issue would be. Problem is, I have to wait for refreshing media, and there’s a lot of media in this thing… I’ll get back with the result.

The last suggestion in this thread seems highly probable now, which is sad, 'cause I’m a musichead and will probably suffocate and spew my guts all over town without music while taking the bus etc. :frowning:

Edit: Latest news now is that after finishing up the refreshing process it actually showed me a charging up icon. Which is good, seeing as it’s just shown an empty battery before. Problem is, it went from bottom to top, to middle to top, and lastly top to top in each run through (about three seconds). This could indicate that my battery is either not flat at all, or it is still bugged and the battery is completely off the wall. Gonna read a bit with music now, so I guess I’ll know soon enough. Once again, I’ll keep you posted.

Thank you so much for all help this far, it’s really helpful regardless of results.

Message Edited by Skjegghatt on 03-05-2009 03:43 PM

Ok, I’m basically just posting and editing here, I should really bone up on my patience skills…

Right, so music ran for about 30 seconds, and then poofed off again. This is just sad. And now I’m all out of ideas myself, couldn’t possibly think of anything else to look into. What do you guys think? Declare time of malfunction or is there anything else to look for?

Just as a further information notice, I’ve checked all kinds of exterior on the device, and there seems to be no damage. I’ve not dropped, maimed, burned, gorged, speared, stabbed, roasted etc the thing in any way either.

I say call it borked and move on.  Sorry about that.