deleting takes a long time

Do I assume correctly that when deleting a photo/video/song from a 8GB fuze with 1500 files takes a long time because the media gets refreshed as part of the process?  It seems unreasonable that it takes 4-5 mins to delete a small pic or the like

Is that time including your database refresh? If it does then 4-5 minutes with that much media is not terrible. Just to delete the file shouldnt take that long ( maybe 1 minute max) but the refresh is longer based on the amount of files on the player.

I’m refering to ‘delete’ from the fuze itself,  listen to a song or view a photo, hit ‘down’ on the scroll wheel then select ‘delete’  I wouldn’t think it needs to refresh, just delete from memory and update the list… still, it seems to take a few mins to get back to the menu. It strikes me that this should be almost instantaneous, not several minutes…

It might be that the firmware implements it as a delete followed by a refresh of the database rather than delete and update of the database. The former implementation would explain what I experience, the latter would be a bit more code but should be very fast.

It’s not a huge deal since I usually don’t delete via the device but instead through the PC, but it did strike me as odd that it took so long when I did it.

Message Edited by timn on 04-08-2009 09:29 AM

It does take a VERY long time on my Fuze, as well. 1621 tracks on mine. Assume that’s normal.

Message Edited by Peregrine on 04-08-2009 01:40 PM

LOOOONG time…like a looooooonnnnngggg cat.

heh- heh

Yeah, I get that too.

Wish it were faster.  Sometimes I want to just delete a CD and make room for more voice recording but not-so-easy.

@timn wrote:

I’m refering to ‘delete’ from the fuze itself,  listen to a song or view a photo, hit ‘down’ on the scroll wheel then select ‘delete’  I wouldn’t think it needs to refresh, just delete from memory and update the list… still, it seems to take a few mins to get back to the menu. It strikes me that this should be almost instantaneous, not several minutes…

It might be that the firmware implements it as a delete followed by a refresh of the database rather than delete and update of the database. The former implementation would explain what I experience, the latter would be a bit more code but should be very fast.

It’s not a huge deal since I usually don’t delete via the device but instead through the PC, but it did strike me as odd that it took so long when I did it.

Message Edited by timn on 04-08-2009 09:29 AM

Yes, when you do that it is refreshing the database file, and the more files you keep on your Fuze, the longer it will take. Many of us do the majority of our deleting when connected to the computer so that we only have to deal with the refresh occasionally.