deleted files are hidden

Hello,

this is a strange thing, I deleted several mp3-folders (at least 70 tracks) from my Sansa Clip (I used my Mac), but the files are still somewhere on the player. I tried a search with every tool I could find (including some software to find filenames starting with a point, They are removed), I tried my Windows PC (Win7)… nothing worked. I always get the information, that there are hidden files on the disk, but not where they are and how I could find them. 

What can I do?

Thank you very much,

Yours 

Edda

From previous posts it appears the Mac has a strange ways of doing things. I don’t use a Mac. Then of course there is always the MSC/MTP issue. I can tell you what will work, save everything to your computer using whatever mode shows your files, try both modes. Switch to MSC, format the device via settings although formatting under windows is fine. Then use windows to move files back to the device and never allow the player to switch out of MSC mode unless you use protected music…

If you use DRM music, you will be forced to use MTP mode, in which case you will need to use only that mode.

Switching modes or platforms can cause problems if you ignore the issues involved. Deleting files doesn’t save space if the system uses some form of trash recovery. This doesn’t seem to be a problem with windows and removable devices.

That’s very strange. I haven’t seen anything like that yet. If this is an option, I would suggest reformatting it.

@deleter wrote:

I deleted several mp3-folders (at least 70 tracks) from my Sansa Clip (I used my Mac), but the files are still somewhere on the player.

When using a Mac, with the player still connected you must empty your Trash before disconnecting or the files will not actually be deleted, only the references to them.

Thanks very much for your answer, I put my Sansa back on and emptied my trash, but nothing changed. I might have to try reformating…?

Thank you very much; my mac does not recognise the player when on MSC-mode. Is that a problem?

@deleter wrote:

Thanks very much for your answer, I put my Sansa back on and emptied my trash, but nothing changed. I might have to try reformating…?

Somebody else posted this same scenario a few days ago. If you don’t empty your trash before pulling the plug, I believe you miss your chance and cannot re-connect to do it. So yes, re-formatting the player is what I would try. You can do it from the player’s Settings > System Settings menu, and not have to connect to your Mac to do it.

@deleter wrote:

Thank you very much; my mac does not recognise the player when on MSC-mode. Is that a problem?

Yep, sure is. MSC mode is the only mode you can use with a Mac, since MTP is a Windows only and made for syncing via Windows Media Player mode.

Formatting, as suggested above will hopefully fix this issue as well. DO remember to check your USB setting after formatting though, as it sometimes reverts the player to the default, Auto Defect setting. Manually select MSC before attempting to connect to you Mac.

You are my hero!

I reformatted the player after your instructions and everything went perfectly. I can’t believe how many hidden files must have been on my Sansa, I put on twice as many albums after the cleansing and there is still some place left, PERFECT!

THANKS VERY MUCH INDEED!

There is a hidden folder created when deleting files, .Trash-0001 or something like that  You will need to change your file browser (sorry I don’t know the name of if in Apple) to view hidden files, then you can see and delete this folder.  In Linux and Windows you hold down the Ctrl key and the delete button to permanently delete files.

If using an Apple computer, you don’t have to reformat your Clip to recoved your hidden space. With your Clip mounted on your Mac, open Disk Utility,select your Clip, click Repair Disk, eject your Clip then remove it from your Mac. This way all your hidden space will again be useable and you won’t lose everything else moiunted on your Clip.