Cruzer Security

somebody asked:

I have the security feature on my Cruzer Micro 8GB activated and have to enter a password to open. I clicked the “Forgot Password” button and it gives me the option to clear the drive. I didn’t have any data on the drive yet, so I clicked  “ERASE”, there was no warning or anything after…just wiped the drive. Is it really that easy for anyone to clear off the Cruzer? If someone picks it up while I’m at work, they can just delete everything that easy?

yes that is the way it works.

… so I clicked  “ERASE”, there was no warning or anything after…just wiped the drive. Is it really that easy for anyone to clear off the Cruzer? If someone picks it up while I’m at work, they can just delete everything that easy?

Besides the two warnings that you already got (the one where it says this will erase everything and the Erase button you had to click), how many more did you want?

This is for security, so that should someone get your flash drive, they can only wipe the drive clean and not be able to get your data back.  Sure, if someone takes your flash drive and tries to break into it (which is the only reason they would be getting this far anyway), aren’t they doing something you do NOT want them to do, and hope the data is gone?

There are dozens of ways people can wipe your data that is easier than this, and the only reason someone would do this would be because they were being malicious anyway, so I think the way it is is done is well thought out. 

Here is the unfortunate truth.  I discovered by accident that all you have to do in order to bypass security is insert the cruser into a USB drive and reboot the computer.  When the computer comes back up, your sandisk drive data is there for all the world to see!  No password is needed!  At first I thought that I forgotten to eject the drive but it makes no difference.  The password feature is completely bypassed by rebooting with the cruzer inserted.   

this will only work if you are logged in to the cruzer and reboot without disconnecting the drive. once the removable partition is unlocked it will remain unlocked untill the drive is removed. this is pretty easy to deal with, just remember to remove the cruzer once you eject it.