Corrupted FAT message on Sansa Clip

Hi I was recharging my Clip and when I unplugged it the screen said Connect device and recover corrupted FAT.

I’ve already researched online how to fix it, but it seems nothing is working…

I’ve tried formating it, but it says Windows was unable to complete the format. I tried on another computer and it says the same thing.

What’s going on, and is there some way I can fix it?

Can you connect to your computer and run a Windows check disk on it (right click on the Clip’s drive and choose Properties; there wil be a check disk option somewhere there)?  That can fix matters.

@miikerman wrote:

Can you connect to your computer and run a Windows check disk on it (right click on the Clip’s drive and choose Properties; there wil be a check disk option somewhere there)?  That can fix matters.

I think in Windows Explorer it’s called “Error checking”. If you run it from a DOS prompt, it’s ChkDsk. Here are instructions for both ways.

Very easy to find and run under the Properties screen for any drive, accessed by right-clicking the drive. 

:cry: I’ve tried doing an error-check, but it just says you can’t do it because the disk isn’t formatted. I also can’t format it.

I uninstalled the driver then installed it againand it’s the same thing.

@questionerm6 wrote:

:cry: I’ve tried doing an error-check, but it just says you can’t do it because the disk isn’t formatted. I also can’t format it.

I uninstalled the driver then installed it againand it’s the same thing.

The player has to be connected in MSC mode to run error-checking and/or formatting from Windows. I believe you can force MSC mode when plugging into your computer by holding the center button while connecting,

If you can’t connect to your computer as noted above, can you reset the Clip/format the Clip from its own settings?

I can’t access the Clip at all because when I turn it on it has the message.

I’ve tried holding down the central button while connecting but nothing happens either.

Sounds like it’s time to call in the big guns.

SanDisk Tech Support