copy file from zipped folder - help!

This is my first Mp3 player.  It connected to my PC just fine, charged, etc.  My PC recognizes it.  However, I wish to transfer an mp3 file that is within a zipped folder.  Dragging the whole folder does not result in an actual copy to the Fuze.  Unzipping the folder and then dragging only the file does not work either - unzipping the folder opens a new window to expose the files and then the Fuze is no longer listed as a target/option.

Transferring this type of file is the entire reason I purchased an mp3 player in the first place!  Can anyone help me??

My windows system is XP.  I have also tried to complete this transfer utilizing Media Player (I do have version 11), with no success.

Hopeful,

nb 

First thing did you download the zipped files straight to the player or to your hard drive? It needs to go on your hard drive. Then you have to extract it. Then when you see that new file right click on it, choose copy then go to “My Computer” find your fuze and open it up, chose the internal memory open that, then open the music folder, then paste it. Follow those steps exactly or if you cant, post any differences you run into.

The files were first downloaded to my hard drive.  Your directions worked perfectly - THANK YOU!!!  It was the extraction I was failing at - my only option was to “extract all…” and skipped that step because I thought I only wanted to extract one of three files.

So if i’m traveling without my hard drive, I won’t be able to download directly to player??  That’s problematic.  I will only have access to a public terminal in internet cafés - do they permit people to download stuff to the terminals? (you can tell I travel a lot, huh?)

nb

I can’t imagine who, or why someone would zip up an .mp3 file. It makes no sense. Mp3’s are already compressed. You will save virtually nothing on trying to compress it further into a .zip file.

Strange indeed.

@nbanner wrote:

The files were first downloaded to my hard drive.  Your directions worked perfectly - THANK YOU!!!  It was the extraction I was failing at - my only option was to “extract all…” and skipped that step because I thought I only wanted to extract one of three files.

So if i’m traveling without my hard drive, I won’t be able to download directly to player??  That’s problematic.  I will only have access to a public terminal in internet cafés - do they permit people to download stuff to the terminals? (you can tell I travel a lot, huh?)

nb

I havent Traveled with out my laptop in almost 2 years so I dont know what the deal is with Cyber cafes. you could probably download and extract on the player, bur make sure you delete the zip file and only keep the file created after extraction. The other thing is that you may want to do this in MSC mode, this will make the computer see the Fuze as a flash drive and not a player. Also if the public terminals dont have WMP 10 or newer or MTP porting installed the computer wnot recognize your fuze if you dont put it in MSC.

In over my head – MSC MODE??? Where do I learn about that?

nb

@tapeworm wrote:

I can’t imagine who, or why someone would zip up an .mp3 file. It makes no sense. Mp3’s are already compressed. You will save virtually nothing on trying to compress it further into a .zip file.

Strange indeed.

A lot of the Free albums I download come zipped up becaise you are dealing with 10-15 songs as well as albim art and sometimes a doc with liner notes and lyrics and what not.The only other way to do it is torrent but some people dont like to do torrents.

@nbanner wrote:

In over my head – MSC MODE??? Where do I learn about that?

nb

Your fuzee has 3 different USB settings. Auto Detect (We like to call it Auto Defect), MSC, and MTP. Auto Detect will switch your player to the best setting for your PC, however it can often cause confusion. MSC means Mass Storage Capabiliy(Or something to that effect), this is how flash Drives work. MTP means Media Transfer Protocol, this is the way that Windows Media Player transfers music, and it the only way to transfer licensed music from things like rhapsody. the way you just transfered your music was in MTP. What I would do at this point is to find the soongs you just added select them on your player and then cut and paste them to your desktop. Then unplug your fuze and go to Settings>System Settings> USB Mode> MSC> then press the center button. Then plug back in and go to “My Computer” and open the thing called Sansa Fuze and then find the music folder and copy the files we just took off back to the player. What this does is to add your files in MSC mode. This is the more universal way to use your player. 

It worked – for the most part.  I still have to extract the files, but they did load directly to the unit as a flash drive.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE!

Next I tackle ripping audio tracks from a cd, without loading that cd onto my hard drive…you’ll probably be hearing from me again :smiley:

nb

It cant be done to my knowlege. Why dont you want to put them on your hard drive? I could see if this were a public computer but if you are at home why not?

I have no use for them on my computer and therefore, they will just take up space…plus, it just seemed like one more step.  I’m not too savvy in this department, as you can tell.  If it’s just a matter of loading them onto my hard drive temporarily, and then I can dump them, guess that’s what I’ll have to do.

nb

Message Edited by nbanner on 03-01-2009 01:55 PM

Rip them then delete them… Only way I know to do it. Something you could consider is a potrtable or external hard drive. I have 102,000 songs. All of them are saved on my PC as ogg files, but on my external hard drive they are mp3. If you dont want them on your PC then atleast they will be on an external drive, that way if you delete them from the Fuze, and you decide you want them back, you dont have to re-rip.

Unless I’m missing something, it should be a snap to rip directly to the player. Just change the “destination”/“target”/whatever in your ripping software.

@gwk1967 wrote:
Unless I’m missing something, it should be a snap to rip directly to the player. Just change the “destination”/“target”/whatever in your ripping software.

My Concern would be the temp files that come with ripping, buffer info and what not. I dont know if it would work but its worth a try.

I’ve recently been ripping CD’s with Winamp to take advantage of the LAME 3.98 encoder, and I haven’t tried it with this set-up, but when I used to rip with Windows Media Player, I could do what you are asking by changing the output folder to my F: or G:\MUSIC folder (player or memory card). No sweat. The same should be true with any ripping program, be it Winamp, WMP or whatever. You have to tell it where you want to store the converted files, and you should be able to change it to your player if so desired. The ripping program doesn’t care; it just needs to know where to put things.

I had absolutely no problems in either ripping, editing tags or normalizing volume with MP3Gain straight to and on the card when I ripped all my Christmas CD’s for playback on my player. Worked like a charm. I’ve got 325 Christmas songs on a 2GB card ripped @ 256kbps. Like you I didn’t want to go through the extra step of ripping them to the hard drive, transferring to the player (or card in my case) and then deleting them from the computer.

Normally it is a good idea to have them backed up on the computer, and I do this with all my other music just to save time in ripping them again should catastrophe strike, but I thought I’d risk it by not saving the Christmas stuff.