Converted videos are too loud! How can I stop SMC's normalize/jacked up audio feature?

Hello,

I have a Sansa e250 and tried using Sansa Media Converter 1.0B004.236CDG to convert a few videos.

The problem is, SMC turns the volume up WAY too loud, to the point where even at the lowest setting, the headphones are cracking with every bit of dialog.

I tried manually lowering the volume of my .avi files before running them through SMC, but I was disamayed to find out that SMC automatically turned up the volume so loud it was distorted again.

I don’t get this. If SMC is normalizing the audio for the Sansa e200, shouldn’t it know how loud a volume it can handle?

MP3’s sound fine, but they’re no quieter than my .avi files. Once I run .avis through SMC, they’re ruined.

Is there any way to disable this normalize/volume blast ‘feature’ by editing config files?

What am I supposed to do?

Message Edited by tabdown on 07-02-2008 09:00 AM

Message Edited by tabdown on 07-02-2008 09:02 AM

Message Edited by tabdown on 07-02-2008 09:09 AM

How did you ‘lower the volume’ on the videos before you tried converting them with SMC?

“How did you ‘lower the volume’ on the videos before you tried converting them with SMC?”

VirtualDub.

First I loaded it into VD, set audio to Full Processing Mode, and saved it as a .wav.

Then I lowered the volume in Audacity and saved it as another .wav.

Then I Direct Stream Copied the video from the .avi and under audio, I selected “Wav Audio” and picked the lower volume .wav.

Finally I set Audio Compression to MP3 and saved the whole thing as an .avi.

What proves that it’s the Sansa software messing me up is that I extracted audio from the resulting quieter .avi (Before) and from the .mov that Sansa made (After), using AoA Audio Extracter, I loaded the Sansa .mov audio into Audacity it was like, two or three times louder than the “before” .avi which went in the Media Encoder.

So, yeah.

Problem still not solved. Any ideas?

Message Edited by tabdown on 07-08-2008 07:22 PM

@tabdown wrote:

“How did you ‘lower the volume’ on the videos before you tried converting them with SMC?”

VirtualDub.

First I loaded it into VD, set audio to Full Processing Mode, and saved it as a .wav.

Then I lowered the volume in Audacity and saved it as another .wav.

Then I Direct Stream Copied the video from the .avi and under audio, I selected “Wav Audio” and picked the lower volume .wav.

Finally I set Audio Compression to MP3 and saved the whole thing as an .avi.

What proves that it’s the Sansa software messing me up is that I extracted audio from the resulting quieter .avi (Before) and from the .mov that Sansa made (After), using AoA Audio Extracter, I loaded the Sansa .mov audio into Audacity it was like, two or three times louder than the “before” .avi which went in the Media Encoder.

So, yeah.

Problem still not solved. Any ideas?

Message Edited by tabdown on 07-08-2008 07:22 PM

AFTER you save it as an AVI, try converting the whole video (using windows movie maker? or any-video-converter.com?)

Maybe that way SMC won’t mess with the “whole package”.

(And my biggest issues are using avi’s. Other formats seem to work better through SMC…)