Connection problem: two drives instead of one

Hi all. I have a new Sansa Clip+ with 8 GB (firmware: V201.01.05F). I’m planning to upgrade it with a 32 GB microSDHC card. For now I have filled the internal memory with MP3 files. USB is set to MSC mode. Everything was perfect, it showed up as a drive with a folder for the internal memory, and I like the sound characteristic. But after connecting it to my computer (Windows XP) the second time, Windows was installing a new driver again. This time there were two drives, J and K, the latter cried for a loaded disk after double-click: apparently the external memory which isn’t installed yet. The other drive showed some system files and the Music folder. I was shocked to find it empty. But still the drive properties say it’s almost full. So I have no access to the music files anymore. They still play fine through the player, though. And an uploaded file was accepted (shown as the only file in the Music folder now) and could be played back in the player.

I have tried to reset it to the factory settings, to no avail. I have uninstalled the USB drivers several times, but the next Windows installations lead to the same result again.

So what’s going on here? Does anybody have an explanation and a fix?

I was considering a formatting of the Clip+ (through its menu), but that doesn’t seem too promising now. I could delete the Music folder, probably a following reload of music files would be recognized by Windows then. But I don’t think the now state is normal anyway: According to the Quick Start Guide there should be one drive with (for now) one folder in it, as described above. I also should note that the player didn’t behave normal after the issue: it started with the settings menu a few times instead of the last music title. At least that seems fixed now.

Message Edited by JaZZ on 05-02-2010 03:44 PM

Message Edited by JaZZ on 05-02-2010 03:46 PM

MSC mode will display 2 physical drives on your computer; the internal memory and the memory card slot (whether there’s a card inserted or not).

Your computer can only see the files added in 1 mode at a time. Therefore, the songs that are loaded on there but do not show up in MSC mode were loaded in MTP mode (or the default Auto Defect which connects in MTP as a 1st choice).

Try setting your player to MTP mode, re-connect and see if those files miraculously appear. You can delete them or move them back to your computer, dis-connect and reset to MSC mode, then re-transfer them to the player.

Thank you, you’re right. The funny thing is that I haven’t changed USB setting, and an inspection showed MSC mode from the start.

Actually I like the MTP appearance better, and since it works, why should I change to MSC at all? I use the drag and drop method for file transfer, not the Media Player. What are the (dis)advantages of the two modes in this case?

MTP vs. MSC

Thanks again! I would have liked a detailed listing of the pros and cons of MTP vs. MSC, which still aren’t entirely clear to me after reading through the search results and some own searches, but I think I can get along with the supplied info. I’m still faltering between the two modes, but probably the better folder display will tip the scales in favor of MSC.

They both do much the same thing.  But some important differences:

MSC mode is more universal, and will work with more earlier operating systems as well as with Linux and on Macs.  Basically, in MSC mode, your Clip is seen like a thumbdrive.  MSC sometimes will work when MTP mode will not.

MTP mode requires a driver provided as part of Windows Media Player (v. 10, I believe, or above). 

In MTP mode, you can check your Clip’s battery level on your computer (or course, you also can check the level on your Clip itself).  With Windows 7 and MTP mode, you get a device staging screen (I believe that’s what it’s called), when you connect your Clip.

MTP mode is needed for files protected by digital rights management.

In the end, for me, I prefer MSC mode, as it is more universal over computers and seems to cause fewer issues.  But if you use DRM’ed files, you’ll need MTP mode.  By all means, IMHO, avoid the Clip’s Auto setting, in which it can flip back and forth between modes, which can confuse matters when you connect to your computer:  the computer can only see the files on the Clip that were transferred to the Clip in the mode then connected to the computer under.

• MTP is required if you’re going to use CRhapsody or rent/borrow audio books from the library, but it can be more problematic and connection issues are possible.
  • MSC is easy-peasy. Computer sees it as just another storage drive, but you can’t use it with the above-mentioned subscription services, or ‘sync’ your player with Windows Media Player.

Thanks a lot for these explanations! I think I will change to MSC, since all I need the USB for is drag&drop file transfer, and all I need the player for is playing my own unprotected, self-ripped music files. And as it seems the folders will have more meaningful names under MSC than they have now. Easy-peasy is the motto!

Now the wait for the 32-GB card…

JaZZ wrote:

I’m jealous! :stuck_out_tongue:

Mind if I ask how good (or bad) a deal you got on it?

@tapeworm wrote:

@jazz wrote:

I haven’t ordered one yet. Most sources mention June 4 as availability date. The cheapest price at my place I’ve seen so far ist CHF 133.

JaZZ wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@jazz wrote:

I haven’t ordered one yet. Most sources mention June 4 as availability date. The cheapest price at my place I’ve seen so far ist CHF 133.

Wow! Really? That’s about $121 US. :dizzy_face:

If that’s true, it’s a really good price! They’re still being offered at the original $199 here in the States.

@tapeworm wrote:

They’re still being offered at the original $199 here in the States.

But not yet available, right? I guess also _your _prices will rapidly come down. Just compare the 32- to the 16-GB version! Finally it should’nt be much more than double that price.

Marcel

Hello and HELP!, please.

I’ve just bought a Sensa Clip+.

It’s my first MP3 player - be gentle with me please!.

It has 2Gb on board and a 2Gb chip.

I have exactly the same problem as the OP - I can’t see the music on my Clip+ on Windows XP, but can see and play them on the Clip+.

I have followed the thread and was lost when “MTP” and “MSC” were mentioned.  Means nothing to me and I can’t see, on Clip+ or PC, where to change between them.  I can see no mention of them.

On Windows XP, I see my Sensa Clipp as Drive F, with various folders which contain nothing, some .sys files and a classic album I loaded. The drive is nearly full, 130Mb short of 1.8Gb.  The rest of the music is the contents of my sons iTunes folder, that I now want to delete.  The extra memeory is seen as Drive G and contains nothing.

How do I see the music files (MTP?? MSC???) and delete them, please?

It would take forever to delete each song individually from the Clip+.

Thanks!

John

tapkaJohnD wrote:

On Windows XP, I see my Sensa Clipp as Drive F, with various folders which contain nothing, some .sys files and a classic album I loaded. The drive is nearly full, 130Mb short of 1.8Gb.  The rest of the music is the contents of my sons iTunes folder, that I now want to delete.  The extra memeory is seen as Drive G and contains nothing.

This tells me your player is connected in MSC mode; where your computer sees the deviice as 2 separate drives, the player’s internal memory and the card slot.

The option to change modes is on your Clip+: Main Menu > Settings > System Settings > USB Mode. Your computer can only see the music that has been transferred in 1 mode at a time. Switch over to MTP mode, re-connect and see if the dreaded iTunes folder shows up. If so, you can highlight it and just press the Delete button on your keyboard.

If there’s anything else showing up there that you want to save, copy it over to your computer then delete it from the player. Dis-connect, switch back to MSC mode, re-connect and transfer from the computer back to your player (or card, your choice).

Tapeworm,

Thank you!

Changing to MTP mode reveals all the tracks that weren’t there before.

I’m grateful to be taught, but I want to learn too.  Please explain what what MTP and MSC mean?

And, can I leave the Clip+ in MTP mode?

John

Info. on MSC and MTP USB modes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_mass-storage_device_class

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

You also can do a search here, using the search box at the upper left.

Basically, MSC and MTP modes are the 2 different ways your Clip can connect to your computer for the same purpose:  the transfer of files (and seeing what is stored on your Clip).  MSC mode is the older (and often less problematic) mode, in which your Clip is seen like an external drive like a USB thumbdrive.  MTP mode is newer and requires a driver found in Windows Media Player 10 and above (which is why you need WMP on your computer if you are using MTP mode).

Either mode will work, and you can use whichever you like.  But note that when your player is connected to your computer under USB MSC mode, your computer only sees the files that had been transferred to the player when the player was connected under MSC mode.  Likewise as to MTP mode.  Regardless, all the files show up and are playable on your player, under whatever USB mode setting.

A good reason why some people prefer to set the USB Mode on their player to either MSC or MTP:  on the Auto setting, the player tries to connect under MTP mode but then will fall back to MSC mode if the MTP connection does not work; the result being, you may have a mix of MSC and MTP mode transferred files on your player, making some of them not visible on your computer without switching to the other USB mode. 

Because MSC mode is more universal (playing with a broader range of operating systems, including Linux and on Macs, and without a need for Windows Media Player on the computer), some people prefer MSC mode.  However, note that DRM (digital rights management) files need MTP mode–they will not transfer sufficiently (the DRM license will not transfer) under MSC mode.