connection error on windodws

I have the sansa clip 2 gig model. I am usings window XP home. When I connect using my usb port it does not show up on my pc. I have updated the firmware hoping that,might be the problem but that didn’t fix it. I do “sometimes” get a message that states this device would work better with another type of high speed usb port, so at some level it recognizes that it has been connected but it does not show up as a separate drive. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

It will connect easier in MSC mode, rather than MTP. What mode is best depends on how you use your player. If you ‘sync’ your music with Windows Media Player, or have a subscription service like Rhapsody or Napster, then you’re stuck with MTP. Otherwise, MSC is much easier. Your computer sees your Clip as just another storage device with a separate drive letter.

Do you have USB 2.0 ports? If not, that could be the reason behind the msg. you’re getting. I believe there are adaptors now that you can get to convert 1.0 to 2.0.

If you do have 2.0 USB ports, but are still getting this message and have problems connecting, make sure you are trying the back ports (on a desktop). They are connected directly to the motherboard and put out more juice, so connections are easier and more reliable. If you’re using a laptop, make sure it is plugged into an AC outlet at the time, otherwise it most likely won’t provide enough power through the USB port to establish a data connection.

It showed in MSC mode.I have not been synching it to any software but I have been downloading from our public library using Overdrive Media counsel. When I went to look at what is on the Sansa drive( through my computer) it does not show the latest book I downloaded, that I am now listening to on the Sansa Clip. I can’t figure out why it doesn’t show? It does show some previous books I downloaded. When I look on the Clip itself it shows that the books are there.

I am using a desktop but I don’t have a 2.0 port.

Thanks for the help

Overdrive Media Console only works in MTP since you are downloading content wiht DRM coding. In 3 weeks (or whatever your loan-out period is) the book will stop opening on your Clip. The DRM does that. You can renew it with your library (through the Overdrive Media console) to get access again, but they usually limit you to 2 or 3 renewals. When your renewals run out, or if you don’t renew, you just delete it from your Clip as it won’t work anymore.

The reason you cannot see this book on your computer now is because the player is in MSC mode. Content put on in one mode cannot be seen on the computer in the other mode. To see your book, you would have to switch to MTP mode. The Clip will see all content put on in both modes; it’s just that you will not be able to on your computer. That’s why it’s normally a good idea to pick one mode for transfer and stick with it to avoid confusion. You can still drag & drop files in MSC mode and D/L your books in MTP mode. You just have to remember what went on how. You can see where it can get confusing.

If you don’t have a USB 2.0 port, there’s your problem with the interrmitent connecting/charging. USB 2.0 is required for the Sansas. Seems you’ve been getting lucky once in a while to get it connected and download what you have. If a new computer is not in your interest or budget right now, here’s an adapter card you can install in your computer that will upgrade the USB ports giving you more power and speed for them. It’s pretty reasonably priced at $16 when compared to a new computer. This should solve your problem (as well as speeding up transfer time when copying files to your Clip). :smiley: