Confused about video and updater

Very happy with the music on my Fuze, got most of it figured out I think (I just bought it last month) but have some questions about the video-

I have some short videos I wanted to put on it - but I understand I need the media converter…ok, and that is in the updater?  But what if I just want to download the new firmware without downloading the updater…is what I need to play videos in the firmware (which I understand I can update manually in the future) or do I need to actually download the entire updater?  

Does that make any sense?? I’m confusing myself…

I guess the short question is, how do I get videos onto the fuze without downloading extra stuff that will just sit on my computer? 

Thank you and Happy New Year! 

The only way to get Sansa Media Converter is through the Updater software. You could install the updater then download SMC then remover the updater if you wanted. (This is what I did)

Or

You could look in to Video4Fuze. Its a user developed software that does the same thing as SMC. 

Thanks for responding - I see - just to clarify before I start - once I install the updater I can download just the converter? Without anything else? Do I need to put the firmware update on the fuze as well? or is that part of the converter?  I’m very confused…sorry…thanks - 

@yoj wrote:

Thanks for responding - I see - just to clarify before I start - once I install the updater I can download just the converter? Without anything else? Do I need to put the firmware update on the fuze as well? or is that part of the converter?  I’m very confused…sorry…thanks - 

Yes, you can install just SMC. You don’t have to install the firmware update.

The two things are completely independent. SMC runs on your computer, the firmware is the “operating system” for the Fuze itself.

Thank you - I understand now!  One last separate question…should I install the firmware update? I’m happy so far with my Fuze, but then I only got it last month and I’m still learning about it…would it perform better with it? Or different? Thanks-

If we assume you have a version 2 Fuze, because it is a recent purchase, upgrading it to the firmware offered from the updater software will give you a pretty red icon on your main menu (that is useless unless you buy a Slot Radio card) and it will remove functionality of a feature called replay gain that works in the shipping version of the firmware (came already on your fuze)

Other things may also stop working as you are used to, if you update to the currently offered firmware 2.0.0.028 through the updater.

I have not looked via the updater for a few days, but the gurus here seem to think it will be a few months before a new fixed firmware comes out.

If you are happy with your Fuze the way it is now, it is probably best to stick with it’s currently working firmware, unless you plan to buy “Slot Radio”: cards for it.

If you already have an extensive music collection and don’t need what Slot Radio offers - Maybe you won’t ever want to updrade the firmware.

It’s up to you… if you don’t like the firmware offered by the updater: currently it is a pain to back out of it to the version your Fuze shipped with…[edit] the updater doesn’t let you use it to go backwards… so it would be manual install to revert to the shipped version 2.0.0.26[/edit]

RE: Video4Fuze  - It is easy to use and supports most formats of video you would have on your compute…

I use it and am very happy with Video4Fuze.

There is a link in the forums to download it.

I hope you love your Fuze (but not like a person loving another person!)

Just kidding there…  it’s your’s to love or hate as you see fit.

Message Edited by BDProductions on 01-01-2010 09:32 PM