Confirmed - Micro SD Load Problems due to aac file load failures

@gph wrote:

I have since loaded all my 3100+ songs to the card thinking I will put all podcasts, audio books and recordings on the player’s memory.  I thought this approach would minimize the player refresh cycle when any content changed.  The podcasts get added and deleted regularly, so I wanted to keep refresh cycle times to a minimum.  I am disappointed to report that any adds or deletes to the player memory result in player refresh cycles that still take over 10 minutes with the almost full memory card still inserted.  I guess SanDisk would say it takes that long because I have so many songs on the card, but I think their refresh routine is inefficiently written assuming a much smaller memory footprint than most people will ultimately try and use with this player.  Your use case appears similar to mine.  You are using the 32GB card like I am.  Adding or deleting a few podcasts to the player should not take over ten minutes to update the players “database”.

That is unfortunately the situation, even using all mp3 files.  What is your file count and what are your refresh times like?  How are your files spread (player memory versus card)?

GPH

Over the last two weeks, I’ve had to use my Zip as my podcast player…my desktop was down so I had no iTunes to load my podcasts onto my iPod. So, I used Mediamonkey on my netbook and subscribed to most of the podcasts so I could keep up. After the second day, I took my microsd card out of it. Even though my refresh times are under 4 minutes (16GB card, 8GB internal) it still wasn’t worth dealing with twice a day when loading podcasts. On Monday when I am done hooking up the desktop again, I’ll put the card back in the Zip…but not before.

And for anyone who wonders why I didn’t just use my Clip+ for the podcasts…it’s because with Rockbox, there’s a trick where you fill the internal memory just about to capacity, and it lets you delete the factory folders. When you disconnect from the computer, you get the “please delete 30MB blah blah blah” message for about 2 seconds and then the player shuts down. Restart, and the player is ready to go…and you never see a database refresh at all, provided you keep the internal memory crammed full…so full it stays. I think last time I swapped content on it, which was yesterday, the properties showed me that I have 1.5MB free…lol.

If my desktop ever goes down again, I’ll try a different approach…I’ll clear space off my Zune HD and try subscribing to the podcasts with the Zune software,which is on my netbook. iPods and Zunes aren’t very popular here, but there’s no database refresh times with them.:stuck_out_tongue: