Computer won't recognize Clip Zip with SD Card in

I have been loading music onto an SD Card (with limited success, but that’s another story). Because of the CZ having trouble accepting albums with “odd” characters - French accents, etc. - I have been loading album one at a time. That is, I load an album, eject the CZ to see if it will make it through the “refreshing media” process and, when successful, load another. After doing this successfully for a while, the CZ will now not be recognized by the computer when the SD Card is in (it is fine when not in). Can anyone tell me why this would be the case, and what I may do to get it to show with the card in? I assume that I need to reformat the card at this point, but cannot do so if I can’t even get the CZ to show. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

If, in the end, you do need to reformat the card, you could take it out of the player and put the card in a card reader attached to your computer, and do it that way.

Yes, I thought about that. The only problem is that I don’t have a card reader. But, as it turns out, on about the 20th attempt at resetting it, it finally came to life. Don’t ask me why. I then reformatted the card, and it now seems to work. Still have the same old problems importing songs, though. Since I have no idea if a particular album will import, I have been reduced to importing one album, disconnecting the CZ to see if it worked, and then going on to another. Far from ideal. BTW, it doesn’t seem to be a tag issue, as I cleaned up a bunch of tunes using Jakoiz and Musicbrainz and it didn’t seem to have any effect. Also, I know for a fact that many files that won’t import come from CDs that should not have any tag issues as they were store bought and imported into itunes just like many others that do import fine (e.g., “Gord’s Gold”, by Gordon Lightfoot is a no go for god only knows what reason - hardly an obscure title, even if it is a bit dated). It’s all quite a mystery at this point, but after literally weeks at this I’ve given up trying to figure it out. Maybe it will inspire me to go to a windows machine for my next computer… Thanks again for all your assistance.

@divingduck wrote:

Also, I know for a fact that many files that won’t import come from CDs that should not have any tag issues as they were store bought and imported into itunes just like many others that do import fine

You can’t rely on store-bought CD’s having correct tags. I’ve discovered a number of errors in brand-new CD’s, from a simple typo (letters reversed in a name or title) to one that had ID3 tags from a completely different Artist and album.

You’ve got to check each and every one. And I wouldn’t depend on iTunes to do it for you or assume it’s right either. :wink:

Thanks for the quick reply. Well, that’s depressing considering I have about 170 GB of music. But, as I said in another post, I have done the tag check on a number of albums that wouldn’t load - e.g., David Francey’s Torn Screen Door (great record BTW) - and they still won’t load (I did this with jaikoz and musicbrainz). Now, I suppose it could be tha they are still wrong. But, if that were the case, my question would be: how do you know when they are right? After all, it’s a bunch of letters and numbers… Or, am I missing something here? And, I hate to say it, but why isn’t this an issue for an ipod?

CDs do not come with tag info. There is a standard for that, CD-Text, but very little uses it. Instead they’re determined by contacting a server on the internet and looking up the track info, which may or may not be correct depending on how accurately someone filled out the track info online and if the software identifies the disk incorrectly.

@divingduck wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. Well, that’s depressing considering I have about 170 GB of music. But, as I said in another post, I have done the tag check on a number of albums that wouldn’t load - e.g., David Francey’s Torn Screen Door (great record BTW) - and they still won’t load (I did this with jaikoz and musicbrainz). Now, I suppose it could be tha they are still wrong. But, if that were the case, my question would be: how do you know when they are right? After all, it’s a bunch of letters and numbers… Or, am I missing something here? And, I hate to say it, but why isn’t this an issue for an ipod?

My guess would be that you have some kind of corrupted tags somewhere that crash the player’s parser. You could try loading everything in a tool like foobar and writing back all the tags. That should clean up anything weird. FWIW, iPods can’t read tags at all. They get track info from iTunes’s database, so the info they present is as good as iTunes can figure.

Thanks for the reply. Re foobar, does this work with a Mac? From looking around, it doesn’t seem like many of these programs do… If it doesn’t, and anyone can recommend one for a Mac, I’d really appreciate it. BTW, it seems like there is a common thread for some albums that cause problems, namely that I imported them to itunes offline when gracenote wasn’t operable. I went back late and filled in the songs titles, etc. (since at the time it read simply Track 01, 02, etc.). None of these seem to import. BUT, I subsequently went and updated the tags using music brainz, but that still didn’t help. So, I am at a loss as to how to proceed if that is the issue. Thanks again.

What format are these files?

MP3 or AAC.

I’ve heard people say the player has a lot of trouble with some AAC files, so maybe thats the issue rather then tags?

So, you’d recommend converting my apple lossless files to MP3?

@divingduck wrote:

So, you’d recommend converting my apple lossless files to MP3?

I would. Keep your apple lossless ones as your archive files on your computer, but use MP3 on the Zip.

I see. So, the literally four days (over 160 GB of music) of converting apple lossless to aac because Sansa says the clip zip is compatible with aac was a waste of time. Nice. Oh wel…

BTW, I see you have your CZ rockboxed. Was it very difficult to do so? Have you had any problems so far? As I understand it, it is still in the development phase (not automatic download yet). Thanks.

@divingduck wrote:

BTW, I see you have your CZ rockboxed. Was it very difficult to do so? Have you had any problems so far? As I understand it, it is still in the development phase (not automatic download yet). Thanks.

I did it a while ago, when it was definitely for experienced users only…but since that point, it is now supported by the Rockbox Utility and so very easy to install. I’ve not had any problems, and it will play AAC files just fine. Also, the battery life improves a good bit.

Thanks. Would it be possible to direct me to the instrucitons on how to install. I am not very computer literate.

Thanks. A question re. RB: does it make a difference if I have music on it now, or should it all be removed before installing RB? And, should the SD card be removed before installation? Sorry if all this is in a manual somewhere. Thanks.

@divingduck wrote:

Another question re. RB: does it make a difference if I have music on it now, ir should that all be removed before installing RB? And, shoudl the SD card be romoved before installation? Thanks.

The music can stay.  I always remove the SD card, as well.

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/GraphicalInstall

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansaclipzip/rockbox-build.html

OK, I downloaded RB, fired it up and got to the Quick Start/ Installation/Extras etc. page and both the Complete Installation and Minimal Installation Options are greyed out, i.e., unavailable. It appears I ahve to go to Installation instead of Quick Start. Is this correct? If yes, when I click on Installation it asks me to install a “bootloader”, with the following instructions (which I confess are pretty much Greek to me (the highlighted stuff in particular). Have I gone awry somewhere? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2.2.4. Bootloader installation from Mac OS X and Linux

1. Create a folder called “rbinstall” in your home directory , and then extract the OF,
    the bootloader and mkamsboot into it.
  2. Open a new termina l, and navigate to the “rbinstall” folder.
  3. Run mkamsboot, passing the name of the OF and bootloader files that you downloaded,
    in addition to a name for the output file.
    Code
    ./mkamsboot clpza.bin bootloader-clipzip.sansa patched.bin
    If mkamsboot does not report success, then retry or abort.
  4. Copy the output file (“patched.bin” in the example given above) to the root of
    the device and rename it to the same name as the OF file you downloaded earlier
    (“clpza.bin” above)

Can this be translated in to less technical language, or does the fact that I don’t undeerstand this make me a danger to myself and my device as far as installation goes?