Compressing music library for archiving

I’m looking for a way to compress my music library for archiving.  I’ve used WinZip 14.5 trial version to compress a few folders with albums in them (FLAC and mp3).   The compression amount was only 1% for the folder with FLAC  albums and 3% for mp3.  Can anyone recommend a program that will be able to shrink the file size further?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

@mags1230 wrote:

I’m looking for a way to compress my music library for archiving.  I’ve used WinZip 14.5 trial version to compress a few folders with albums in them (FLAC and mp3).   The compression amount was only 1% for the folder with FLAC  albums and 3% for mp3.  Can anyone recommend a program that will be able to shrink the file size further?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I’ve never given that a thought, to be honest. I do encode my FLACs at level 8 (highest compression level) but from what I have seen, zipping files doesn’t really seem to do much, as you’ve discovered. If you compare filesize of downloads before and after extraction, you’ll see the same thing. 

If you’re really low on space, maybe the best bet would be to pick up an external hard drive. I was able to get a 1TB model for $99 this spring when my taxes came back. That is not a portable model, however…if you must have a portable one, you’ll most likely only get a 500GB mdel for that price. I’m still considering getting a portable model at some point.

Both FLAC and MP3 (and probably every other audio filetype besides WAV) are already compressed. Trying to compress them again with ZIP, RAR, etc. is usually minimally successful, and can even result in LARGER files.

About the only way to significantly reduce the file size is to transcode them to a lower bitrate or a more efficient compression algorithm.

It looks like compression isn’t the way to go.  Saving just 3% of space for mp3 files isn’t worth the time and effort.  I wouldn’t even consider lowering the sound quality to save space, at least, not for files to be archived.  Once those files have a lower bitrate, I’ll have to rerip my CDs to get a better sound quality.  Spending my time ripping my CDs once is enough.

Getting an external hard drive is a good idea.  There’s a portable 250gb one at Walmart for about $50 that would suit my needs.

@mags1230 wrote:

It looks like compression isn’t the way to go.  Saving just 3% of space for mp3 files isn’t worth the time and effort.  I wouldn’t even consider lowering the sound quality to save space, at least, not for files to be archived.  Once those files have a lower bitrate, I’ll have to rerip my CDs to get a better sound quality.  Spending my time ripping my CDs once is enough.

Getting an external hard drive is a good idea.  There’s a portable 250gb one at Walmart for about $50 that would suit my needs.

If you’re a member, Costco also has well known name brands, excellent prices & selections on external hard drives

From this past week, you could pick up a 500GB portable hard drive for $60 or so, a 1TB external hard drive for $65, and a 2TB external hard drive for $110. 

A good source for deals, in addition to the office superstores (Staples especially):  frys.com and Fry’s Electronics stores (they currently have the deals on the external hard drives).

The November/December holiday season and Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend is a great time to look for hard drive deals–Staples, Radio Shack (a super deal and no lines!–RS made a believer outta me), and Fry’s had great deals last year.

From this past week, you could pick up a 500GB portable hard drive for $60 or so, a 1TB external hard drive for $65, and a 2TB external hard drive for $110. 

A good source for deals, in addition to the office superstores (Staples especially):  frys.com and Fry’s Electronics stores (they currently have the deals on the external hard drives).

The November/December holiday season and Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend is a great time to look for hard drive deals–Staples, Radio Shack (a super deal and no lines!–RS made a believer outta me), and Fry’s had great deals last year.

Especially for archiving media, space is a good thing.  I’d consider getting a 500GB drive or more, especially if you’re looking to archive in an uncompressed form (in which case the larger size external hard drives might be the way to go).

Those are really good prices for external hard drives, especially the 1TB for under a hundred.  There are times that it seems as if a person can’t have too much storage space, especially for an ever-growing music library.  The upcoming Labor Day weekend is also a good time to keep an eye out for deals.