COMPATIBILITY WITH ACER TOUCH PAD

I HAVE AN ACER A500 TOUCH PAD AND CAN T INSTALL FIRMWARE. THE SANSA PLAYER CHARGED OFF THE TAB BUT THAT WAS ALL. HOPE YOU CAN HELP!

Caps work for me, I guess not for you. You see I’m old and can barely see the Caps! I still have the same problem Acer a 500 still doesn’t like Sansa Clip Zip?

You could try MSC mode. Although I have no idea what you would even do if its recognized. I guess you’d need a file manager type program for Android.

Thanks for your help. Maybe it will lead me too a resolution of the issue?

What saratoga is suggesting is what you’d need when using an Android tablet to install Sansa firmware.   Sandisk makes the firmware process easy via a Windows computer, but not via an Android tablet.

There is no automatic updater for Android, so you’d have to use the manual update procedure. 

The first problem is to get the Sansa Zip recognized by the tablet.  The second problem is having a file explorer app that can unzip the .zip file that Sandisk offers for manual update.

Some Android tablets are not USB hosts, meaning tablets’ USB or micro USB ports are not the master in the master-slave relationship.  I just looked on the net, and think that your Acer’s USB port does act as a USB host.  If that is the case, you’re in luck.

The easiest thing is to get access to a Windows computer.  You have everything you need to do the manual update or automatic update (though you probably wouldn’t want to install the Sandisk automatic updater program on someone else’s computer if they don’t have Sansa MP3 players). 

If borrowing a Windows PC is not possible, try this:

• put the Sansa Zip into MSC mode, as saratoga suggests (I don’t have the Zip, so can’t give the steps for that, it should be under Settings and then something like USB mode).
  • get some Android file explorer app that can unzip files (for this post, small “z” refers to zip file compression, large “Z” refers to the Sansa player) and install it on your Acer.  You may already have such an app, with something like “file” and/or “explorer” in the app’s name.
  • plug in the Sansa Zip player
  • see if the explorer app can see the Sansa Zip (I don’t have a tablet with USB host, so I can’t say how that would look).  If so, you’re in luck.
  • using the Android file explorer app, unzip the Sandisk manual update .zip file (which you’ve previously put on the Acer).
  • drag that clpza.bin (or whatever the unzipped file is named) to the root directory of the Sansa Zip.
  • continue following the Sansa manual update instructions (like unplug the Zip, etc.)

THANKS SO MUCH FOR HELP AND TAKING THE TIME TO PUT IT TOGETHER FOR ME. WHILE MY EYES DON’T SEE AS WELL, MY BRAIN STILL DOES. I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING. NOT VERY EASY GETTING HELP WITH THE ACER A500.
I LOVE IT BUT IT HAS BEEN A CHALLENGE FOR ME.

JIM