Clip won't honor folders

@sinocelt wrote:

There are lots of alternatives, actually: the market is saturated with them.

Sorry, I meant there aren’t a lot of alternatives if you chose the Clip.  Of course there are alternative players.

I also want this.

It is the only thing really wrong with the sandisk players.

I want to be able to browse the files and folders, and play songs in a specific folder only.

That way you can have a folder for going to the gym and one for studying, and just drop files in those folders, without wasting time on dealing with tags or playlists. 

I also want folders for Blues, Rock, Jazz, Classical. I think it is normal and easy way to listen to the appropriate music for each moment…Am I wrong??

Excellent player, but I’m getting crazy with this problem. Someone has some good idea?

An almost good idea is to use the ‘Genre’ tag. mp3tag can tag all songs within a subdirectory tree with the same Genre leaving the rest untouched. Fast and easy.

But I understand you fully, I also miss folder navigation.

Yes, it’s a way to solve partially the problem. With folders is very more easy and fast. Why not folders??? 

Hi guys,

Let’s put it this way: If I edit the Genres, I automatically update all selected song dates and cannot sort them by date in Total Commander, so I cannot use this method to eliminate oldies. Tying to maka a Go list while running (in daylight) would be a really stupid idea.

In short: there are some lame workarounds but there are tons of people who don’t care to waste time fiddling with song properties and consider lack of folder view a BIG PAIN IN THE… NECK that could be easily solved.

BTW, are there any Sandisk guys watching this list  or is this just a venue for releasing user frustrations? 

Bob

Darn, my shiny new clip looked great when it arrived in its box last week . . . now reading your posts I discover that the strange play order is not a bug it’s a feature??  Arrrgh.  Dear Sansa-Clip, I don’t use MP3 players to listen to music *ever*, I listen to podcasts, and audiobooks, and overdrive media books: each file is only ever listened to once.  I don’t wan’t playlists, genres, tags, I just want to play files in the order they’re named, and folders have always been a good way to organise what I’m listening to, and listen to it!

Darn darn darn. 

With the latest firmware, SanDisk attempts to address your concern by having dedicated podcast/audiobook folders, in which you can throw those files and have them sorted regardless of ID3 tags.  From the firmware release notes:

Audiobooks and Podcasts sorting and resume features:

• Content placed in Audiobook or Podcast Folders are now accessed separately from Music.
• Content with Genre tags of “Audiobook” or “Podcast” are now handled from any location and  sorted by the UI.
• PodCasts and Audiobooks are now organized by 2 level hierarchies.
• Podcast content is sorted with newest episode first.
• Auto Bookmark: will prompt the user with “Resume?” or “Restart” option when restarted.

You might want to try it out–

@bob_rocks wrote:

BTW, are there any Sandisk guys watching this list  or is this just a venue for releasing user frustrations? 

I was wondering the same. :-/

I think is easy to solve this dilemma or they want we buy another future model with this uncomplicated feature?

bob_rocks wrote: “Are there any Sandisk guys watching this list  or is this just a venue for releasing user frustrations?”

I want FOLDERS!!!

Please, please give us FOLDERS! :cry:

Another vote for a “Play by: Folders or ID3 tags” option in Settings or some other way to play files by folders.

The suggestions that this will take up too much space on the Clip are silly: the Clip already reads all the files, creates links to those files, reads out the ID3 tags from those files along with a link to those files, and then stores all that info.  I’d be curious to know what order the files are read by the Clip, i.e. does it just traverse the directory structure like those who want folder view?

SanDisk has been silent on why they won’t do this - only that it is not available.  Sansafix??

The suggestions that everyone should use tags is missing the point - users of the Clip want to play by folders - a LOT of users.  I’m able to handle tags easily but confess that it is a royal pain to change tags every time I download an audiobook or podcast to get the Clip to play them in the order I want.  I shouldn’t have to do this EVERY TIME!!

So Steve, I’m a bit confused:  are you in favor of the implementation of folders?

:wink:

Actually, I’m very surprised this wasn’t implemented originally:  it makes the Clip even more universal (and read:  would lead to further sales).

Yes, I want folders.  :smiley:  I can get by without folders but some things would be a lot easier if folder play were available.

The time people spend complaining about folder browsing could be put to better use getting their ID3 tags done.

"The time people spend complaining about folder browsing could be put to better use getting their ID3 tags done. "

Ouch!  But, kinda true…I’m glad I got all of that done before I got my Clip in the mail.

Brad

“No, I’m from São Paulo. I only work in another galaxy.” - Zanti

I WANT FOLDERS!! 

Zanti, I hope you get 'em.  But, until then, we all have to deal with what we got.  And after having two fairly crappy RCA Lyras, I’m very grateful for my 4gb Clip!

Brad

Message Edited by HulkSmashNow on 07-14-2008 09:48 AM

I want folders.

From Spain also… Folders browsing requested. :smiley:

Message Edited by kishorfarm on 07-24-2008 01:10 PM

Message Edited by kishorfarm on 07-25-2008 08:23 AM