Clip Surgery

Ah, the little monsta broke!  My daughter handed me her Clip, with an unresponsive volume button.

Ominously, the volume UP button was slightly depressed, a sign of a mechanical malady within. 

So, onto the test bench it went.  The up button microswitch had popped free from the circuit board.  The girls watched while Daddy fired up the old Weller for a wee bit of soldering.  I chose 600 degrees for the fine tip.

The hardest part was positioning my loupe to see the work surface.  The old eyes just don’t work like they used to.

Using a jig for the case, no pry marks remain.  It’s been a while since I’ve worked with the control ring assembly, the light pipe for the blue ring.  I’d love to fabricate a new ring for the Clip+.  The Sansa blue ring is essentially a trademark, in my humble opinion.  I love it.

Bob  :wink:

A talented man there!  And I agree as to the blue ring–differentiating bling, too uncommon nowadays.  (Although an option to turn it off would be nice, for those who prefer.)

I’d like one of these new toys to supplement my 1986 era digital station (still works great!)

Awesome SMD micro pencil.  They have new air pencils with vacuum pumps, and super handy heated SMD tweezers too!!

How cool is that!

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 09-14-2009 11:29 PM

@neutron_bob wrote:

I’d like one of these new toys to supplement my 1986 era digital station (still works great!)

Awesome SMD micro pencil.  They have new air pencils with vacuum pumps, and super handy heated SMD tweezers too!!

How cool is that!

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 09-14-2009 11:29 PM

WOW! NICE! And to think I’m still using a fixed-output Weller station with the alloy controlled fixed temp tips.

Say N-B, a question about your Clip disassembly jig. Do you depress all four sides, or only the ends with the larger tabs? I’ve thought of building a jig a long time ago, but just have not done it. Will be easy if the case pops depressing the short sides only. I’m still prying them, but have it down pretty good. Get some buggers that don’t want to let go sometimes.

The Clip has two loops at the lower sides that are unique from the remainder of the case.  These loops ensure a proper lock between the face and rear cover, and they will easily snap.

That’s a technical term for “they break when opening the case” quite easily.

So, I squeeze the case slightly, which reduces the incidence of breakage.  The top and bottom case tabs are better, in my mad scientist opinion.  Depressing the case half opens then nicely.

You do have to be careful when manipulating the upper face, as the Mini-B connector is best negotiated by pushing the face to the side as it releases.  The face moulding wraps around it a wee bit.

I use a modified PanaVise to provide the requisite gentle squeezage.

Oh, and the piece de resistance?  No bugger marks at the case seam either.  I fabricated an improvised pry tool using two stainless strips, with the pry tool between them.  The force is distributed across the gap better.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 09-24-2009 02:48 AM