Clip - Ogg Vorbis Bit Rates Supported?

Trying Ogg Vorbis w/ VBR for files to play on Clip. Discovering that higher quality settings/bit rates cause some distortion in playback on Clip. Having trouble finding quality setting that will maximize quality & eliminate distortion for all files. Anyone know what the specs are for current firmware for supported Ogg Vorbis bit rates?

Bit rate shouldn’t matter.  

What distortion do you get?

You may find these threads on the same topic of interest:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Clip/Distortion-and-Crackles-playing-Ogg-Vorbis-files/m-p/57961/highlight/true#M18334

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Clip/small-popping-sound-when-playing-ogg-vorbis-w-EQ-on/m-p/94001/highlight/true#M14307

Are you using the EQ?

Best description of distortion I hear is a dull pop. I hear it in quieter passages. I’m not using the EQ (“normal” selected). Was thinking it might be bit rate related b/c lower bit rate reduces occurrences of distortion. I think they disappear @ q4 but not sure - thought q5 did the trick but found a track today w/ noticeable distortion @ q5. Thinking of re-installing firmware.

Do they happen in the exact same place everytime or are they random as you’re playing a file?

@saratoga wrote:

Do they happen in the exact same place everytime or are they random as you’re playing a file?

They happen in the same places in the same songs. Read in another thread that some have solved this problem by re-installing the firmware. Just tried to do this but didn’t seem to work. What’s the procedure?

If you’re running an older firmware, updating would help.  But reinstalling the same firmware is not going to do anything.

If you can’t figure it out, you can try rockbox.  I’m baised since I worked a lot on its vorbis decoder, but its quite good.  Much more power efficient then the sandisk one, and less buggy.

Actually, reapplying the latest firmware sometimes can help with (inexplicable) issues, seemingly fixing code that has gotten glitched up.

@miikerman wrote:

Actually, reapplying the latest firmware sometimes can help with (inexplicable) issues, seemingly fixing code that has gotten glitched up.

Tried to reapply firmware but was not able to. Followed directions from another thread but did not seem to work. What is the correct procedure?

@jimmanko wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Tried to reapply firmware but was not able to. Followed directions from another thread but did not seem to work. What is the correct procedure?

Downlod the firmware file, unzip it, put it on your player.

The step-by-step instructions for upgrading the firmware are in the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum, in the opening post.