Clip+ No Longer Recognized by any Computer

By error I detached my Clip+ from a computer without ejecting it. Now it is no longer recognized by any computer. I tried resetting it many times (Power/Center buttons 20 sec) to no avail. It was finally seen by one computer, but could not update driver. I took out driver, but computer will not reinstall it. Where from here? Any hope? Thanks

Hello,

in that case the last thing you can try with the player is to force msc the player to the computer that is like a hard reset for the player.

you can find the steps on how to do it here: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61/kw/force%20msc

if that also does not help, then the player seems to be defective and needs to be replaced either by the place of purchase or sandisk direct.

@soyeso wrote:

By error I detached my Clip+ from a computer without ejecting it. Now it is no longer recognized by any computer. I tried resetting it many times (Power/Center buttons 20 sec) to no avail. It was finally seen by one computer, but could not update driver. I took out driver, but computer will not reinstall it. Where from here? Any hope? Thanks

There is NO driver. To what are you referring?

I am not a techie. I was looking at the unit in Windows 7 and it asked if I wanted to uninstall the driver, so I did, with the idea to reinstall it. Nothing else seemed to work. I also have a “driver updater” program from Sandisc, but it cannot work, since it cannot see the Clip+. Hope that is clear. Thanks

THere must be a driver.

This is from Sansa:

Sansa player NOT recognized by the computer

Why is my Sansa player NOT being detected by my computer when I connect it?

This may be caused by one of the following:

1. Minimum system requirements were not met
    2. Corrupted drivers
  2. Computer restrictions
  3. Power issue
  4. Bad cable

I tried your suggestion. At attempted restart, all I get is the word Sansa, then the logo flasing on about 5 times, then blank. Sometimes I just get the logo which stays on for a few minutes. I am puzzled, since this unit has maybe 50 hours of use, although I got it 2-3 years ago. So there is no warranty left. Thanks for your time.

Windows itself contains drivers for things like USB, but there is no Sandisk driver required. Regardless though, if the device does not boot, you cannot use USB so attempting to change Windows drivers or other software will do nothing. See if you can get the device to boot or format itself.

If I hold down Power+Center select for 20 secs, and then let go, then hit both again, I get a steady logo displayed. What should I do then? Thanks

First of all, do you have another USB-to-microUSB cord? For a phone, camera, etc?  It’s possible that your Sansa cord has gone bad, and it is just a standard connection. 

If the problem is in the Clip’s own software, that’s called firmware–it’s not a driver.The terminology can be confusing. 

So let’s try fixing the firmware. 

Go to the firmware update thread near the top of this forum. Follow the instructions for MANUAL firmware update. Basically you are going to download a .zip file of the firmware, unzip it and drag it onto the SANSA CLIP driveletter. 

Connect the USB cord to your computer. Hold down the center button or << button and connect to the unit. 

This should make the standard USB connection to the clip. It’s the standard Windows USB driver, the same as every other USB connection you make. 

You should see two drives, SANSA CLIP and Removable Drive. 

Just drag the unzipped firmware onto SANSA CLIP. When you disconnect the firmware in the unit will update itself and that may fix the glitch. 

I have no other cord. This unit has hardly been used. I doubt that there is a cord problem since the unit was seen for a while when this problem first started. I cannot do a manual update, since the unit would have to be seen by the computer for that to happen.

If I do a hard reset (Power/Center Select buttons) the word Sansa flashes followed by either a steady logo, or a single logo flash.

Looks like a dead end unless anyone has anymore suggestions.

Thanks for your time…

I decided to throw it away. After all, I have a iPod which works!

Living where I do, there are no “service centers”. Also, my gut tells me that the unit is gone, and not worth the effort to ffix.

I am grateful for those who took time to offer help.

Thanks…

Have you tried holding down the << or center button while connecting? That is a way to force the simplest and most direct computer connection. 

Or, can you get past the logo? If you can get to Settings/System Settings you can go to Format and format the unit through its own firmware. That will wipe out anything you have put on the Sansa, but it may also clear up problems with the firmware. 

Also, if it has been sitting in a drawer for 2-3 years the cord may have rotted or rusted internally. If the cord was coiled tightly it may have broken inside. So it wouldn’t hurt to borrow a cord from someone and try that. Sometimes the simplest things work. 

If it’s any use: I’ve noticed that my Clip+ is never recognized on a Dell laptop WIn 8.1 that has USB 3 ports only.  On my other WIn 7 PC with both USB and 2 ports,it is only recognized on a USB 2 port. If your PC has USB 3 ports, try plugging your player on a friend’s PC with USB 2 ports.