Clip+ having to reset it often

I always use my microSDHC card (32gb) but I don’t even think I’ve put more than 6gb on yet it. Ive had this device for several months, had to get it replaced once. I’ve updated the firmware on it long ago.

Often times I hit “forward” to go to the next song and it totally locks up. I reset it by holding power for 20-30 seconds, charge it fully, etc. Other times it just locks up or goes bonkers though the entire list. One time I formatted my card and that seemed to fix it, but I shouldnt have to reformat my card constantly.

I’m having to reset the device now several times a day and just yesterday, Windows and Mac refuses to recognize any data on my card now. I’m not sure if the device screwed up my card or not, Its a SanDisk card, so its not a cheap one.

I charge it on a Mac OS X (lion) at work and sometimes at home on my Windows XP SP3 PC.

Luckily Mac OS X is letting me reformat the card, Windows didnt. But I totally don’t expect this to last more than a month or two before it screws up.

You need to look at (and treat) the cause of the problem, not the symptoms. Resetting a player should be the exception, not the rule.

There are file(s) on your player it doesn’t like. They could be corrupted files or files from shady download sites (like limewire or other illegal torrents), files it doesn’t recognize (unsupported file formats), or it could be as simple as the ID3 tag not being able to be read. Issues to look for in the tag include: wrong format (should be ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1), strange and/or foreign characters, exceptionally long and/or hyphenated titles, Comments field full of useless junk (should be blank). It could also be the Finder (ghost) files your Mac inserts that confuses the non-pod player. You can use ‘Hidden Cleaner’ to remove these.

MP3Tag is a great, free dedicated tag editor and can make quick work of tidying up your tags. But I don’t know if you can use it on a Mac.

Once you find and eliminate whatever is causing it to choke, you shouldn’t have any more problems or have to format or reset it all the time.

Absolutely agreed. or it could be a corrupt firmware (it can happen over time) that a firmware re-install could handle (see the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum). Although, my bet is on ghost files from the Mac, which can choke a non-Apple device–easily handled with KopyMac or Hidden Cleaner (both Internet freeware).