Clip+ got wet, turns on, but d pad not working

My Clip+ fell in the tub & I didn’t realize it until it turned itself off.  After drying out, it turns on and appears fine except for the little detail that the d-pad isn’t working right, it scrolls up ok, it scrolls itself down automatically!, won’t go right or left and won’t select.

I dried for 4 days, updated the firmware & reset the unit with the power swich…

Any ideas on what else to try?  Is there a way to check the contacts on the board?

thx,

-P

Sounds like it’s either still wet inside, or there’s soapy residue in there allowing electrical contact where there shouldn’t be.

What you may want to do, with the player off , is squirt in some distilled water a few times, shaking it out between–the idea being, to clean any residue out.  But I would only do this if the player doesn’t fix itself with some use.  And, of course, let the player dry thoroughly after. 

Thanks for the replies, there were no soap or chemicals in that tub’s water though…  This was a wilderness hot spring dunk, and I forgot to say that during the very cold hike out, the moist player definitely froze too (everything on/in pack was frozen.  I wonder if the freezing could do some damage - I’d shaken the water out vigourously immediately after the player’s swim.  I’ll let it dry out some more.

@solarboy wrote:

Thanks for the replies, there were no soap or chemicals in that tub’s water though…  This was a wilderness hot spring dunk, and I forgot to say that during the very cold hike out, the moist player definitely froze too (everything on/in pack was frozen.  I wonder if the freezing could do some damage - I’d shaken the water out vigourously immediately after the player’s swim.  I’ll let it dry out some more.

Ok, here’s 2 more things to consider . . . .

Water from a hot spring is just loaded with minerals. These minerals are conductive, meaning that after the water has evaporated, the residual deposits could be allowing electricity or current to be transferred bewtween the micro solder points and/or pathways on the circuit board. The best way to neutralize this risk is to dunk or flush it again with distilled water and dry it completely (preferably dis-assembled).

You say the player froze (literally) after its ‘hot tub experience’? What happens when water freezes? It _ expands _. As closely as everything is jammed together inside these miniscule cases, I could envision drops of water freezing, expanding and ruining or otherwise affecting those same pathways and/or circuits inside the player, rendering it inoperable, even after thawing and drying out.

I don’t know if permanent damage has been done or not; it probably boils down to how lucky you are.