I have a 4GB Clip+ I picked up in December, I’ve had great success with it and I really like it. It’s been kept clean and dry and mostly at room temperature; I haven’t had it long enough for it to go through the wash, get slobbered on, stepped on, or otherwise abused. At worst, it spent some quality time under my pillow with me snoring away.
Yesterday it started having trouble and froze at the Goodbye screen. I didn’t have the manual handy (I was on a plane - the worst time for a music player to die) so I left it for a few hours until I got home.
Since then I’ve tried removing the secondary card, many many resets, multiple reformat attempts (one success in 6 attempts or so, both from the player and from XP), multiple firmware upgrade attempts (all failed), I’ve tried connecting it to the PC while holding down the middle button, and all I have to show for all this is sore fingers and a lot of wasted time.
At this point it takes about 20 attempts to even get it to boot and most of the time it simply hangs at the logo. I strongly suspect the filesystem is corrupt/in an unknown state but I can’t get the device to a point where I can reformat, let alone have the format successfully run to completion.
My goal is to reformat, check the filesystem with chkdsk, upgrade the firmware, then test with some known good songs. I am not hopeful.
So here are my questions:
- How long should booting take if the filesystem is corrupt?
- If the filesystem is corrupt, does the player try to format it on boot (thus explaining the boot delay at the logo)?
- If the player “hangs” at the logo, how long should I wait before assuming it’s locked up and resetting it?
- How long should formatting the filesystem take on a 4GB clip?
- Is there anything else I should be doing to diagnose or recover from this problem?
As I said, I really like the Clip+ and I understand I might have to reset the device occasionally. I just wish it’d cooperate and get its act together.