Clip/Clip+ FLAC Support

Wondering what FLAC compression levels are currently supported by Clip & Clip+. When I first got my Clip, could only use level 2 compression. Higher settings would create pops during playback. Have updated firmware but haven’t tried higher compression levels yet. Also wondering what compression levels Clip+ supports.

I use Level 8 on mine with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Excellent! Clip or Clip+? Which firmware?

Are you sure it was due to using level 8 and not something else?  The sandisk firmware won’t play 24 bit flacs and certain sample rates IIRC.  But it would be weird to not support different compression levels.  They’re not that different and the decoder they use has always supported level 8.

Popping was a problem @ compression levels higher than 2 & frequency of popping increased as I used higher compression levels. No more popping @ level 2 so I assumed that it was related to compression level. Also, at the time I read in a forum that someone else had a similar problem. Also, played the same tunes thru my computer to see if it might be a ripping/conversion problem (I use dBpoweramp) but they played w/o popping thru my computer so I ruled out a ripping/conversion problem.

Did some conversions last night & played some FLAC level 8 compressed tunes on Clip w/ latest firmware update. No problem w/ any popping. Seems the problem I had was firmware related & solved in latest version. Thanks to Tapeworm & saratoga for your interest & help.

@jimmanko wrote:

Did some conversions last night & played some FLAC level 8 compressed tunes on Clip w/ latest firmware update. No problem w/ any popping. Seems the problem I had was firmware related & solved in latest version. Thanks to Tapeworm & saratoga for your interest & help.

Don’t know what your problem was, but I’m still using the original factory-installed firmware version (01.01.05) on my Clip+. I have over 1200 FLAC (Level 8) files on it and have never heard even the hint of a pop.

My unit is a Clip, not a Clip+. Problem existed before I updated to latest firmware. Glad there is no problem now, whatever the reason. Thanks again for your interest.

I believe the original Clip did have some issues with higher compression level FLAC files that was fixed in a f/w update. Glad to hear your is working fine now.