Clip+ as flash drive for installing windows?

Hi

has anyone tried to install windows 7 or any other operating system using sandisk clip+ mp3 player as flash drive? If so please share any experiences and also I would like to know if that would be possible to reset all content on the mp3 player and later to recover the firmware and keep using it as before?

Thanks

Paul

@polass47 wrote:

Hi

has anyone tried to install windows 7 or any other operating system using sandisk clip+ mp3 player as flash drive? If so please share any experiences and also I would like to know if that would be possible to reset all content on the mp3 player and later to recover the firmware and keep using it as before?

Thanks

Paul

I’ve heard of it being done with a non-Windows OS, but it’s risky.   There are protected firmware files kept in a partition on the player’s internal memory and if you somehow delete or corrupt those files, you will not be able to restore them.  Flashing the firmware that’s available for download will not restore your player if that happens. 

I’m not sure I understand the original question.  Are you talking about putting the Windows install files on the Clip, to install Windows onto your computer; or installing Windows onto the Clip itself?  If the former, I don’t see why not, as the Clip simply serves as the storage media to install from.  

As to the second question, I’m not sure I understand the question–and I’m not sure why you would need to wipe the Clip completely.  Why not just leave its operating files there, when you’re otherwise using the Clip for storage purposes, etc.?

The best thing to do in this case is use a SanDisk Cruzer  flash drive, or if your computer has a SD port, configure a bootable recovery drive on the SD card.  A 16GB SD card is quite inexpensive, and tucks into yor laptop bag nicely.

You’ll have plenty of space to save a recovery disk.

I wouldn’t recommend devoting too much time and effort to storing everything on a Sansa, though it could be done in a pinch, but I’ve heard of cases where building a recovery partition on the Sansa messes things up nicely.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue: