Clip 4GB with Rhapsody Playlist Question...

Got my shiny new 4GB clip and I am a Rhapsody to go user. This is my first Sansa player and I have a newbie question. How do I remove music from the Clip when I delete a playlist from the clip? Do I have to manually hunt for each track via windows explorer and delete the associated tracks manually one-by-one? Can the removal of the associated playlist tracks be automated?

My experience is with “that other company’s” i -#$&! software. When I delete a playlist using that sofware, all associated tracks are automatically deleted with it (unless the track is included on another playlist)

Also, Is there a user’s guide for the 4GB clip available, other than the skimpy flyer that comes in the packaging?

Thanks!

Bill

The Sansa Clip General Information stickie above has a link to the user manual for you.

On your second question, deleting the playlist only erases the reference list to those files in Rhapsody- the individual files have to be deleted.  On the other side of the equation, if you delete the files, the playlist drops the songs for you.

Be sure to click the “check for updates” button in the Rhapsody client (Rhapsody 4)…I don’t have it open, as I’m at work.  The R4 (updated) client works pretty well for me, save the occasional DRM issues.  We can work on those inevitabilities too…No worries!

Bob  :wink:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 03-06-2008 01:36 PM

Neutron Man,

Thanks for your reply and assistance. Sorry, I’m unable to locate the “sticky” you refer to. Can you clarify?

Bummer re the apparent need to manually delete files associated with a playlist. That is CLUNKY! Anbody have any suggested workarounds to accomplish this? I don’t want to have to manually hunt and peck for each track associated with a playlist via explorer, when the playlist is removed from the player via the Rhapsody software.

If no workaround is available, seems to me it would be easier to wipe out all files completely and reload the playlists you want to remain on the clip. But that is a pain, time and labor intensive.

Any suggestions?

Heres a tip that will help.  If you want to “automatically clean out a playlist”,  you can use Windows Media Player 11.  Open WMP 11. Select the device and navigate to its “playlists” .  There you can right click the playlist and delete it.  WMP will give you the option to remove all the playlists contents from the device which is what you want to do!.

No more hunt and peck!

You might check if the latest version of Rhapsody will give you this function as well.  If not, use WMP11.

sansafix wrote:
Heres a tip that will help.  If you want to “automatically clean out a playlist”,  you can use Windows Media Player 11.  Open WMP 11. Select the device and navigate to its “playlists” .  There you can right click the playlist and delete it.  WMP will give you the option to remove all the playlists contents from the device which is what you want to do!.

No more hunt and peck!

You might check if the latest version of Rhapsody will give you this function as well.  If not, use WMP11.

SansaFix Dude(ette):

Thanks much for your suggested workaround. I’ll give it a go and see what happens.

The 4GB Clip is my first foray on the Sansa side. I’m coming over from the “dark side” (has a green piece of fruit logo) and am learning the Rhapsody to go integration with the clip. The Rhapsody DNA on the player is what compelled me to take the plunge as Mr. Jobs was on the receiving end of too much of my cash for each track I purchased.

I hope this works, otherwise I’d be faced with a major usabilty pain managing playlists and might be enough of a pain to keep me on the dark side…

Another way to deal with this issue in Rhapsody.

Navigate to the playlist in Rhapsody and expand it to view the tracks.

Select and delete  the tracks in the playlist.

Next - Delete the Playlist itself, by selecting “remove Playlist from Device”.

Awkward,  but it works and saves the step of using WMP11

@calkid wrote:

The 4GB Clip is my first foray on the Sansa side. I’m coming over from the “dark side” (has a green piece of fruit logo) and am learning the Rhapsody to go integration with the clip. The Rhapsody DNA on the player is what compelled me to take the plunge as Mr. Jobs was on the receiving end of too much of my cash for each track I purchased.

Not to discourage you from preferring the Sansa Clip over an i**d (the Clip has much better sound quality!), but … you don’t have to give Mr. J**s cash in order to buy music that you can put on an i**d.

Or are you just saying that you prefer subscription music over purchased music?

:wink:

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 03-12-2008 04:02 PM

@sansafix wrote:
Another way to deal with this issue in Rhapsody.

Navigate to the playlist in Rhapsody and expand it to view the tracks.

Select and delete  the tracks in the playlist.

Next - Delete the Playlist itself, by selecting “remove Playlist from Device”.

Awkward,  but it works and saves the step of using WMP11

Sansafix: Thanks for the suggested alternative workaround in managing playlists in Rhapsody. I’ll give it a try. Your previous suggestion of using WMP 11 has also worked well and is easing my learning curve transition with the Clip and Rhapsody, from several version of the iP*d and iTun*s.

@promisedplanet wrote:

@calkid wrote:

Not to discourage you from preferring the Sansa Clip over an i**d (the Clip has much better sound quality!), but … you don’t have to give Mr. J**s cash in order to buy music that you can put on an i**d.

Or are you just saying that you prefer subscription music over purchased music?

:wink:

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 03-12-2008 04:02 PM

Promised Planet: Yes, I agree that the Clip’s sound quality is superior to several versions of iP*ds that I have owned. What compelled me to transition to the Clip was my affinity for Rhapsody. I’ve found it a very convenient method of exploring new music, yet maintaining the abilty to customize my playlists and player content.

calkid wrote:

Sansafix: Thanks for the suggested alternative workaround in managing playlists in Rhapsody. I’ll give it a try. Your previous suggestion of using WMP 11 has also worked well and is easing my learning curve transition with the Clip and Rhapsody, from several version of the iP*d and iTun*s.

The same thing can also be accomplished with MediaMonkey, which I consider to be a superior music manager to WMP.  (Just in case you find yourself using WMP for a while …)

calkid wrote:

Promised Planet: Yes, I agree that the Clip’s sound quality is superior to several versions of iP*ds that I have owned. What compelled me to transition to the Clip was my affinity for Rhapsody. I’ve found it a very convenient method of exploring new music, yet maintaining the abilty to customize my playlists and player content.

I hear ya.  Rhapsody is an excellent service.  I’m hoping that Sandisk modifies the Sansa Connect’s firmware to use Rhapsody, after having dumped Yahoo Music To Go.  Exploring new music, AND on WiFi!