Clip 4GB silver player (refurb), $27 shipped

http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info.php?products_id=12549

I still must say, I like that uber-cool silver design with glowing blue neon.

:wink:

I just ordered the silver clip which I have wanted.  There is a 3.99 addn charge which I am not happy about at all.  If it is some cable I did not want it nor did I order it as I have

a box full.  

shipping is free or so I understood   and of course no number to call on Sunday.  I guess I’ve learned my lesson that nothing is free. LOL  I just don’t understand why the

extra charge was not clarified.  Do you have any ideas?

Donna in AR 

Maybe this will be a help to someone else:  In the options below nothing appears to be checked BUT you have to do the pull down menu and put in no thanks.  When I saw

the extra 3.99 I did not approve the order so it will be interesting to see if they send it any way as they have all my info and it plainly says no changes can be made.

I wonder about companies who sell like this with just enough confusion to throw in extra small charges.  I still want the device BUT at $27 as it is a refurb.  If I don’t get the e-mail

from them I’ll call tomorrow and make sure I’m not ordering twice.

The watchword today is check everything 2x.

Donna

It is a little sneaky that the USB extension cable is added by default. On the other hand, it is in plain sight, so there’s really no one to blame but yourself if you don’t want it but order it anyway.

Amen and Amen!  I have it all fixed now and the secret was not approving the order.  Just watch these folks carefully because they tried to add 2 more expensive clips to my final order but I was savvy this time I think.  Like you I like and want the blue light back a lot!

Donna 

Glad you worked the order out, Donna.  I agree that they’re pretty tricky there, with the USB extension cable added by default in a hidden sort of way, unless you go in and remove it from being added.

And I must add:  you have impeccable taste.    ;)   I think this is the most elegant of the Clips (although with the handicap as to outside use–but then, many pretty things have usability handicaps …).

Thanks for listening as I worked through my problem with the order.  The silver is my 8th Clip and/or Clip+.  They are the most perfect little machines after you come to understand what they do best and what they can’t do.  Let us know if any more bargains found.

Donna 

Well, I did just spy yesterday an armband case for the Clips, that looks like it was near-custom made for them, with a clear face so that you can get at the controls (but not clear if the side controls can be pressed through the fabric).  Very attractive besides, and an under $10 deal (including shipping) through the Amazon marketplace …

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-Universal-Sport-Small/dp/B0038KTMZS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281976041&sr=8-9

:slight_smile:

And:  8 Clips!!  :wink:

I got my silver toy on 8/18 and it looked great.  Loaded the needed firmware.  Loaded an OverDrive book as I planned to use it steadily to make sure ok.  Played that one fine.  Day before yesterday I loaded an Audible book and it began doing odd things

like skipping from part to part or all the way back to the beginning.  I cringed because I had been down this road before with

the old sansas.  Finally got it working again and suddenly noises like clopping hooves were in the background behind the

narrator’s voice and skipping began again…

I loaded the same book in the same way to another of my dependable clips----no problems.

I have to say I became disenchanted with the refurb and wrote for an RMA. 

They have asked me to do:

1. A Hard reset of the clip which I will do.

2.To Connect the clip to my PC and format it.  I’ve done format before but is this a heavy duty one that I don’t know about?

1. Load the book to another clip (good thing I have 7) although with DRM that is not easy to do.

2. Re-load files and see if problem occurs again on the silver clip.

Please advise about the format instructions.

Thanks,

Donna in AR

@dford3772 wrote:

I got my silver toy on 8/18 and it looked great.  Loaded the needed firmware.  Loaded an OverDrive book as I planned to use it steadily to make sure ok.  Played that one fine.  Day before yesterday I loaded an Audible book and it began doing odd things

like skipping from part to part or all the way back to the beginning.  I cringed because I had been down this road before with

the old sansas.  Finally got it working again and suddenly noises like clopping hooves were in the background behind the

narrator’s voice and skipping began again…

I loaded the same book in the same way to another of my dependable clips----no problems.

I have to say I became disenchanted with the refurb and wrote for an RMA. 

They have asked me to do:

1. A Hard reset of the clip which I will do.

2.To Connect the clip to my PC and format it.  I’ve done format before but is this a heavy duty one that I don’t know about?

1. Load the book to another clip (good thing I have 7) although with DRM that is not easy to do.
  1. Re-load files and see if problem occurs again on the silver clip.

Please advise about the format instructions.

Thanks,

Donna in AR

Sounds like they are referring to using Windows to format the player. This will erase everything, including the firmware. I have done this on a Clip several times, it just involved manually adding the firmware to it afterwards. I had to do it to my friend’s V2 Clip (my old one) becuase he had somehow gotten corrupted files. Whether that is the cause of your problems, however, I don’t know…never used an audiobook myself.

@marvin_martian wrote:

Sounds like they are referring to using Windows to format the player. This will erase everything, including the firmware. 

I’ve never had Windows erase the firmware whenever I’ve used it to format a player. I thought it was protected in a ‘secret place’ to avoid that.

Since I’ ve not done this on a clip only on a flash drive, I have forgotten whether this is a self explanatory process, follow prompts etc.  When I plug in do I take it to format on the clip itself or what?  Sorry to be so much trouble but I’m sort of lost on this one.

Donna

Do I take the clip to format when it is plugged in?  Will there be prompts etc.  I’m rather lost on this one.

Donna

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Sounds like they are referring to using Windows to format the player. This will erase everything, including the firmware. 

I’ve never had Windows erase the firmware whenever I’ve used it to format a player. I thought it was protected in a ‘secret place’ to avoid that.

The Clip I was formatting was frozen up by the not enough space error, so I couldn’t do anything with it…the Windows format made it a blank mass storage drive. Maybe this is a Windows 7 vs XP thing?

@dford3772 wrote:

Since I’ ve not done this on a clip only on a flash drive, I have forgotten whether this is a self explanatory process, follow prompts etc.  When I plug in do I take it to format on the clip itself or what?  Sorry to be so much trouble but I’m sort of lost on this one.

Donna

I’m sorry the player is glitching!   :frowning:

Formatting from your computer is easy.  Connect the player, right click on the player’s drive (under Computer or My Computer), and then there should be a format option.  Select it and format as FAT32.  Note:  if there is an option for Quick Formay and it is checked, uncheck it.  Voila!

Hopefully that will do it for you!

@dford3772 wrote:

Donna

I’m sorry the player is glitching!   :cry:

Formatting from your computer is easy.  Connect the player, right click on the player’s drive (under Computer or My Computer), and then there should be a format option.  Select it and format as FAT32.  Note:  if there is an option for Quick Format and it is checked, uncheck it.  Voila!

Hopefully that will do it for you!

And if the format has wiped out the firmware, simply add it back to the Clip–see the firmware upgrade sticky at the top of the forum for the instructions and firmware download.

Hey Miikerman,

Thanks for the compassion and after all this is a learning situation. 

By the time I got your mail I had dug into my rusty brain and figured it out.  The only thing I didn’t see on XP was the fat32

setting–Maybe it knew.  It did not take the firmware; I still have 1.01.35a.  

First I did the reset and wound up having to reset 3x as it froze on disconnect and once on the book that was there.

Then I did the reformat.

Now I have loaded another overdrive book and all went well with the load and setting a pause.  I’ll have to listen and see.

It has set a pause and turned off ok BUT…the freezes are not a good sign either.  I’ll post as soon as I know its behavior.

thanks,

Donna

I have been amused reading posts of people promoting refurbs, and of people having trouble with refurbs. Buying a refurb is a gamble. You might get a good player that was opened then returned, or you might get a defective one. Why are some people so attracted to refurbs?I don’t get it.  I hate refurbs.

@jk98 wrote:

I have been amused reading posts of people promoting refurbs, and of people having trouble with refurbs. Buying a refurb is a gamble. You might get a good player that was opened then returned, or you might get a defective one. Why are some people so attracted to refurbs? I don’t get it.  I hate refurbs.

Because they are cheap!

“Because they are cheap!”

Are you referring to those who buy refurbs, or the refurb players? :smiley: