clicking noise

Help!

I dropped my Fuze on the bathroom floor. It now makes a constant clicking noise. Is there any hope?

Or do I have to buy a new one?

If the clicking noise doesn’t stop I would suggest to buy a new bathroom floor.

Etoja wrote:
If the clicking noise doesn’t stop I would suggest to buy a new bathroom floor.

:smileyvery-happy:

That’s not a solution, that’s a criticism of my syntax. I suggest you learn to use prepositions if you’re going to post in English.

sbuddrv wrote:
That’s not a solution, that’s a criticism of my syntax. I suggest you learn to use prepositions if you’re going to post in English.

No, that’s called humor Butterfingers, albeit at your expense. I thought the response was quite witty indeed. I suggest you recognize when someone’s making fun and roll with the punches if you’re going to post on a public forum.

Now, about your problem . . . there are no moving parts within your player, but the fall could have scrambled it’s eggs, so to speak. I have no idea what the clicking noise could be, unless it’s a song that is trying to play, and the circuitry cannot decypher it. When it comes right down to it all you can do is:

A.) Reset the device, and hope it works.

B.) Re-install the firmware, and hope it works.

C.) Format the player (this will delete all content), and hope it works.

D.) Buy a new player, and hope if you drop it again, it hits the nice cushy bath mat instead of the tile floor. Or simply don’t take to to the can with you anymore.

sbuddrv wrote:

No, that’s called humor, albeit at your expense. I thought the response was quite witty and I’m sure not malice was intended. I suggest you recognize when someone’s making fun and roll with the punches if you’re going to post on a public forum.

Now, about your problem . . . there are no moving parts within your player, but the fall could have scrambled it’s eggs, so to speak. I have no idea what the clicking noise could be, unless it’s a song that is trying to play, and the circuitry cannot decypher it. When it comes right down to it all you can do is:

D.) Buy a new player, and hope if you drop it again, it hits the nice cushy bath mat instead of the tile floor. Or simply don’t take to to the can with you anymore.

sbuddrv wrote:
That's not a solution, that's a criticism of my syntax. I suggest you learn to use prepositions if you're going to post in English.

No, that's called humor, albeit at your expense. I thought the response was quite witty and I'm sure no malice was intended. I suggest you learn to recognize when someone's making fun and roll with the punches if you're going to post on a public forum.

Now, about your problem . . . there are no moving parts within your player, but the fall could have scrambled it's eggs, so to speak. I have no idea what the clicking noise could be, unless it's a song that is trying to play, and the circuitry cannot decypher it. When it comes right down to it all you can do is:

D.) Buy a new player, and hope if you drop it again, it hits the nice cushy bath mat instead of the tile floor. Or simply don't take to to the can with you anymore.

That was funny :smileyvery-happy:

What Tapeworm said should work. though it might be the ear buds that are damaged, try using the Fuze with different headphones. 

@ sbuddrv ,

Point taken - I noticed my mistake with the above mentioned preposition, but didn’t bother to rectify it. Anyway English is not one of my forte languages - thanks for mentioning it, I would work on my prepositions.

As Tapeworm rightly mentioned it, no offence was intended, I just couldn’t help it, sorry …  :smiley:

Don’t be cross with me - I understand how upset you must be…

It is not obvious from your ms if the clicking is mechanical or is coming from the earphones. It hardly can be a woodworm disturbed by the collision with the bathroom floor, so I assume it is coming from your earphones.

If so, I  suspect you might have damaged the earphone socket by dislocating contact surface inside.   There is a well-known problem with the Fuze skipping files while the plug is not properly inserted. Theoretically it also might cause some kind of clicking noise - try to move the plug clockwise and see if the clicking changes. Or, alternatively, you might try some other make of eaphones to see how it works. 

Something is obviously dislocated. I doubt if the suggested firmware reinstallation and formatting would work but you never know. 

P.S. Can you hear any musik apart from the cliking?

Message Edited by Etoja on 03-24-2010 06:09 AM

I don’t know if the Fuze has any components similar to the SanDisk Cruzer Ultra (USB RAM), but mine has several times started clicking (similar to a stuck key) until I shut it down and re-inserted it. (See my note in another entry.)