Check This New Cockpit!

I think a picture says it all, having a look at the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner cockpit.

There hasn’t been much fanfare about it, but take a close look at the flight deck of the new Boeing.  In particular, do you notice something interesting in the windshield area?  The two glass panels in front of the captain and first officer’s positions are new heads up display panels that place critical information directly in the pilots’ line of sight, just like a military fighter.

This is a major change for commercial aviation, one that has been kept to military applications.  Adding HUDs to the new Boeing is a welcome addition, as the pilot can access critical information when time is of the essence, during critical phases of flight.

The last major change in flight information was the introduction of the glass cockpit,   seen below the windshield, where data is displayed in computer panels, configurable during flight.  Of course, there are discrete indicators as backups, such as the srtificial horizon, attitude indicators, altimeter, compass, directional aids,et cetera.  SImply awesome.

Having some fun this afternoon tinkering with the e280v2 and Clip Zip.  Though I should be out riding my bicycle today, listening to music has won for now.  Funny how that happens.

I have to look further into the flight deck.  I’m sure there’s some space to install a dock connection for the Sansa, now that would be really nice.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

In particular, do you notice something interesting in the windshield area?  The two glass panels in front of the captain and first officer’s positions are new heads up display panels that place critical information directly in the pilots’ line of sight, just like a military fighter.

They look like Obama’s teleprompters. I guess Boeing figures since he found his way from Chicago, IL to Washington, DC using them their pilots likewise might be able to find their way from SFO in San Francisco to JFK in New York?

:laughing:

Careful what you’re calling the flight control cabin there, Bob . . .

As the airliner pushed back from the gate, the flight attendant gave the passengers the usual information regarding seat belts, etc. Finally, she said, “Now sit back and enjoy your trip while your captain, Judith Campbell, and crew take you safely to your destination.”

Joe sitting in the eighth row thought to himself, “Did I hear her right? Is the captain a woman?”

When the attendants came by with the drink cart, he said, “Did I understand you right? Is the captain a woman?”

“Yes,” said the attendant, “In fact, this entire crew is female.”

“My God,” said Joe, “I’d better have two scotch and sodas. I don’t know what to think of all those women up there in the cockpit.”

“That’s another thing sir,” said the attendant, “We no longer call it the bleep pit. Now it’s the box office.”

Careful what you’re calling the flight control cabin there, Bob . . .

As the airliner pushed back from the gate, the flight attendant gave the passengers the usual information regarding seat belts, etc. Finally, she said, “Now sit back and enjoy your trip while your captain, Judith Campbell, and crew take you safely to your destination.”

Joe sitting in the eighth row thought to himself, “Did I hear her right? Is the captain a woman?”

When the attendants came by with the drink cart, he said, “Did I understand you right? Is the captain a woman?”

“Yes,” said the attendant, “In fact, this entire crew is female.”

“My God,” said Joe, “I’d better have two scotch and sodas. I don’t know what to think of all those women up there in the cockpit.”

“That’s another thing sir,” said the attendant, “We no longer call it the cockpit. Now it’s the box office.”

Tape, awesome!!

Always wondered why they call the bicycle’s handlebars and stem the “cockpit” as well, go figure.  I fell over laughing when the report came in that Obama’s infamous podium and teleprompters were stolen from a government van a few months ago.  Heads must have been rolling at the Secret Service over that.

Bet he recited Dr. Seuss’ Green Eggs and Ham instead, at the engagement.

Thinking of flight instruments, I finally replaced the old CatEye cyclocomputer with a new Sigma wireless.  I have a whole new set of commands to learn with the new device, even nighttime illumination and heart rate data.  Reminds me of flying a Ventus glider years ago fitted with the new Borgelt instruments, all kinds of information.

Somebody turned up the world’s thermostat today, 73 degrees, time to dig out the short sleeve jerseys again!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Simply awesome take. 

That’s an awesome cockpit.  I like the rest of the interior too.  It has a very cool futuristic look to it.

It’s like playing an online game, this is really awesome! However, various car makers are racing to put augmented reality windshield technology on automobiles over the next five years. Supporters trumpet the advance in technology, while critics worry that this will lead to more distracted driving accidents.