Charging and playing music works on Fuze & Ubuntu 8.10 - Possible with Win XP too?

With MTP USB Mode selected:

a) Ubuntu 8.10 and Rhythmbox after clicking on eject the device (Sansa Fuze) it continues to charge but just as if I would use a wall charger I am able to listen music.

b) With Windows XP SP in Songbird 1.1.1 this does not work. Is there a way to achieve the same as with Rhythmbox?

(clicking on safely eject hardware in windows also keeps the fuze unresponsive).

If it’s possible under Linux it should be possible under XP too. Anyone found out?

@extremecarver wrote:

With MTP USB Mode selected:

a) Ubuntu 8.10 and Rhythmbox after clicking on eject the device (Sansa Fuze) it continues to charge but just as if I would use a wall charger I am able to listen music.

b) With Windows XP SP in Songbird 1.1.1 this does not work. Is there a way to achieve the same as with Rhythmbox?

(clicking on safely eject hardware in windows also keeps the fuze unresponsive).

If it’s possible under Linux it should be possible under XP too. Anyone found out?

Its not. Its a good bug to have but its a bug none the less. There is no way to do this in windows.

There is a way to do it, but it’s more ‘manual’.

Pull the USB plug out of the computer after ejecting, then reinsert it, but don’t push it all the way in.  Wiggle it in slowly until the battery starts charging, but before the data contacts in the USB cable make contact with the computer’s contacts.  I use this method successfully often.

@tenzip wrote:

Pull the USB plug out of the computer after ejecting, then reinsert it, but don’t push it all the way in.  Wiggle it in slowly until the battery starts charging, but before the data contacts in the USB cable make contact with the computer’s contacts.  I use this method successfully often.

I wont recomend that. To much chance of frying something, not to mention the odd of forgetting you have it hooked up that way and wondering why your player wont get recognized bt the pc.

Hey that’s a great one - just tried it and it works. There is no risk of overchargin, is there (Battery is on 100% according to systemsettings/info but the battery bar indicates charging)?

I’ve never had a problem with it, I’ve left mine to charge overnight several times.  It will eventually quit when the charging circuit finishes ‘topping off’ the battery.

@conversionbox wrote:

@tenzip wrote:

I wont recomend that. To much chance of frying something, not to mention the odd of forgetting you have it hooked up that way and wondering why your player wont get recognized bt the pc.

CB, please don’t take this the wrong way, it’s being said tongue-in-cheek, but you’re being an old woman. (And any old women reading, please don’t take offense.)

There is no possibility of frying your USB-powered device by hooking it up to a working USB port on your computer.   The plug/socket, by design, power the device before connecting the data lines.

And if I wander up to my computer and can’t figure out why my Fuze won’t connect, the first thing I’m likely to do is unplug/plug.  Problem solved.

@tenzip wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

@tenzip wrote:

CB, please don’t take this the wrong way, it’s being said tongue-in-cheek, but you’re being an old woman. (And any old women reading, please don’t take offense.)

There is no possibility of frying your USB-powered device by hooking it up to a working USB port on your computer.   The plug/socket, by design, power the device before connecting the data lines.

And if I wander up to my computer and can’t figure out why my Fuze won’t connect, the first thing I’m likely to do is unplug/plug.  Problem solved.

Im not trying to be whimpy, but It is my luck that I would find a way to short out my entire system. Ive tried it and Im glad it works, but Like Ive said else where I am a clutz, and I dont feel right recomending anything that I wouldnt do reguarly myself. Also I leave one cord pluged in to the PC all the time in the back, so I wouldnt notice that it was out a little bit. If it wont connect the first thing I would check is the USB not the cord. BTW Ive been called a lot of things but never an old woman, thats one I can cross off my list.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 03-31-2009 07:43 PM

@conversionbox wrote:

BTW Ive been called a lot of things but never an old woman, thats one I can cross off my list.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 03-31-2009 07:43 PM

Glad I could help with that list.  :stuck_out_tongue: