Cdex default variable bitrate? Have I made mistake?!

Have I made mistake? I was ripping albums using Cdex default setting (min: 128 max: 220) Was this setting for variable bitrate? Why they have variable rate as default?!

If I don’t want to use variable bitrate and have constant bitrate should I set min and max to same value (min: 192, max: 192) and not change any of other settings or there is something else to be changed as well?

bit more

@jason08 wrote:

Have I made mistake? I was ripping albums using Cdex default setting (min: 128 max: 220) Was this setting for variable bitrate? Why they have variable rate as default?!

If I don’t want to use variable bitrate and have constant bitrate should I set min and max to same value (min: 192, max: 192) and not change any of other settings or there is something else to be changed as well?

You’re better off with variable bit rate(VBR) Your Clip will play it with no hiccups whatsoever,and you’ll save space, both on your computer and your Clip . What VBR does is use a lower rate during simpler  songs, and a higher bitrate for more complicated songs. So you’ll be able to fit more music onto your Clip…this is a good thing. CBR is a needless waste of space, and if it uses a _ tiny _ bit more battery to play VBR, it’s well worth it to have more music on your Clip…CBR is a relic. Every bit of my MP3 and WMA music is VBR, and it works great. And, I had a bunch of CBR 192 MP3’s, when I first started out…later I re-ripped them with WMA VBR min85 max145 and they sounded just as good but were 60% of the size of the 192 CBR’s. I’m not advocating MP3 vs. WMA or vice versa…just giving you an example of how much space you can save. All those rips I describe were done with Windows Media Player 11. The Sansa Clip and Fuze handle VBR just fine, and frankly, if anyone has a player that doesn’t handle VBR, they should think about retiring it and upgrading :smiley:

Edit: I recently have taken to ripping with MediaMonkey so I can use FLAC for archival purposes…but that’s another whole topic:wink:

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 12-26-2008 12:41 PM

Even better:  with VBR, the amount of space given to the music varies throughout the music constantly, so that, for example, there is a moment of silence ins a tune, less space is given to that portion of the music.  Presumably, this can work a great space savings and, on the flip side, enhance the sound in complex passages.

@miikerman wrote:
Even better:  with VBR, the amount of space given to the music varies throughout the music constantly, so that, for example, there is a moment of silence ins a tune, less space is given to that portion of the music.  Presumably, this can work a great space savings and, on the flip side, enhance the sound in complex passages.

That’s right. I’ve been using LAME and with it you can see how the encoding process automatically uses the optimal bitrate (from 32 up to 320 kbps) for each frame (1/75 sec, IIRC).