CBS to run Yahoo Launchcast

Link to Reuter’s Article

“But that’s not to say Launchcast will remain the same. The customized radio stations to which Launchcast users are accustomed will be phased out, with an eye toward migrating those users to CBS’ Last.fm service. Also getting the ax is the Launchcast Plus subscription radio product, which charged about $2 a month for commercial-free radio in high-def audio. Instead, the high-def feature will be added to the basic-usage tier, with advertising included in all streams.”

Sounds like bad news for the Connect.  Does Sandisk FINALLY open it up to the user community now with the probable loss of Launchcast streaming and Zing owned by Dell now?

My guess is that the chances of the Connect receiving Last.fm are virtually nil, huh?  :manindifferent:

@cmhdave wrote:

Sounds like bad news for the Connect.  Does Sandisk FINALLY open it up to the user community now with the probable loss of Launchcast streaming and Zing owned by Dell now?

Here’s something interesting … this FAQ says that the Sansa Connect will still receive Launchcast stations.   ???

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/music/launchcast/transition/faqs.html

If we will still be able to listen to our launch radio after feb of this year, it would be ncie if a fw update is made to be able to listen to the cbs radio stations.

Also, according to the Yahoo FAQ, ratings will no longer be available/used for the launchcast stations.  I would hope that we get a firmware update accordingly, since ratings are used now with the Connect.

And while they are at it, they may as well remove the My Station functionality since it doesn’t work either.

Perhaps in return, they could add a few more supported formats to make up for the loss of functionality.